The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
BadInfBob
Found some matches.

Default Whole Packers in Chicago NW suburbs

Any suggestions on where to find whole packers in the northwest or west Chicago burbs? Our local Sam's and Costco's only have flats. The local butcher near me doesn't stock them, and when I order from him I'm stuck with whatever he gets. I'm willing to take a reasonable drive and I'm trying to avoid on line orders and the associated shipping costs.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Ron_L

Restaurant Depot in Lombard is the most consistent. You can get a day pass with a KCBS membership.

Imboden's in Dekalb can order them. I'm sure that Ream's in Elburn can, too but I haven't checked.

The Naked Fatty!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
BadInfBob
Found some matches.

Default Thanks

Thanks Ron. I've been using Ream's for the past 2 years. Nice guys, but very limited selection of whole briskets thus far. I'll give Restaurant Depot a try. I need to go there anyway for some other stuff.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

As a competitor searching high and low for packers...best selection...Restaurant Depot. Not the most consistent, but you do get selection vs. ordering from someone where you are stuck with what you order.

Brew-B-Q BBQ Team
Backwoods Extended Party / FEC100 / Memphis Advantage / "The Hulk" UDS / "The Silver Bullet" S/S UDS
cmohr74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

There is http://www.rwhittinghammeats.com/ in Alsip. I would call first, but they usually have at least a dozen, also have primes most times. Then there is http://www.ellengeemarket.com/ on the northwest side. They don't have a display area but the guy will bring down a case or 2 for you to look through. But like they said above restaurant depot is still probably the best source as far as amount to pick through.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
BadInfBob
Found some matches.

Default Thanks

Thx Andrew. I met u in Rockford at Smoke Hunters on Fri night. Congrats on ur cook.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSmoke View Post
There is http://www.rwhittinghammeats.com/ in Alsip. I would call first, but they usually have at least a dozen, also have primes most times. Then there is http://www.ellengeemarket.com/ on the northwest side. They don't have a display area but the guy will bring down a case or 2 for you to look through. But like they said above restaurant depot is still probably the best source as far as amount to pick through.
I get my whole chickens through ellengee. Always happy with their product

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote