The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Opening Up The Back Of An Enclosed Trailer To Make A Porch. Anybody Done It?

I have a 20x7x7 cargo trailer that I want to open up in the back but leave covered so that I will have a porch to cook under without having to unload cookers.

The current plan is to build a wall with a door either 6 or 8 feet from the rear end of the trailer. Then remove the plywood and skin and leave the 1" square tubing that makes the frame in place. The tubing is every two feet.

Anyone know if this will still be structurally sound without the plywood on the back end? I did a lot of searching to avoid asking here, but couldn't find anything specific enough.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Probably not much help, but here is the trailer in question.

Unread 08-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd probably leave a foot at the top and 2 at the bottom and at leat 1 foot from the back intact. Then brace it. You could go all the way top to bottom but need to reinforce with cross pieces. You'll be putting a lot of weight at the back so also need to worry about it being tongue light.

Unread 08-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
I'd probably leave a foot at the top and 2 at the bottom and at leat 1 foot from the back intact. Then brace it. You could go all the way top to bottom but need to reinforce with cross pieces. You'll be putting a lot of weight at the back so also need to worry about it being tongue light.
I like this idea. A lot. It makes good sense and allows me to achieve my goal.

Unread 08-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
JUST SMOKIN'
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Rear deck

We run a 40' toy trailer and have a deck. We bought 2 scissor jacks like those used to level and attached them to the back door with steel 4" x 4" plates and carriage bolts, unload what you need with the ramp down and then put the gate up and level with scissor jacks. You can modify 1 10 x 10 easy up and connect two of the legs to the door lock mechanism, and make two extensions for the outside legs and create a great canopy.

Tim Schopp

TIM'S FULL BELLI DELI
Oshkosh, WI
JUST SMOKIN' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUST SMOKIN' View Post
We run a 40' toy trailer and have a deck. We bought 2 scissor jacks like those used to level and attached them to the back door with steel 4" x 4" plates and carriage bolts, unload what you need with the ramp down and then put the gate up and level with scissor jacks. You can modify 1 10 x 10 easy up and connect two of the legs to the door lock mechanism, and make two extensions for the outside legs and create a great canopy.

Tim Schopp

TIM'S FULL BELLI DELI
Oshkosh, WI

Sounds like a nice setup but how many spots are they making you pay for? That would be almost 50 feet. Down here the spots are usually 20 feet.

Unread 08-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
shortyssmoke
Got rid of the matchlight.

Timmy's crew uses two spots...but one is just for the wrestling tourny on Friday night. :)
shortyssmoke is offline   Reply With Quote