The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
McEvoy AZ
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Maybe going to one GMG Jim Bowie for Comps

I have been thinking that I would like to try competing on one Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie soon. Currently I have been using the Jim Bowie, 1 18" WSM, 1 22" WSM, and a Kamado Acorn. Now I have been using each cooker to do different meats and it is just a lot to haul from comp to comp. My first thought would be to buy a 2nd GMG, because I would sure feel better about cooking at two temperatures, 275 and 325. I know I could pull off the space as the Jim Bowie although a little tight can handle if my larger meets come off by the time chicken goes on. I think I would want to choose 325 as the temp to cook at.

What do you think. Is there anyone today using 1 GMG today and if so can you give me some advice?
McEvoy AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Never used one, but if Harry Soo can win multiple GC's per year with ONE 18" WSM then I think you should be fine with that one.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
BMerrill

Timing is the key in using a JB or any low capacity smoker to cook all 4 meats. 1 or 2 miss calculations and something is not going to get done in time.
But it can be done. See if you can do the cook at home with each meat ready at typical turn in times.

Typically take 2 Traeger Texas Grills (same size as the JB) to competitions.
Would rather have 2 smokers than timing issues. When you consider all of the expenses to enter, travel, products, fuel, ect. the cost of a second JB is just a drop in the bucket for some piece of mind.
BMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Bentley
Babbling Farker

I have cooked a KCBS competition with one Traeger Texan. About the same size as JB. It can be done.

The Butt and Brisket can be done hours early, as long as you have something to hold in. It is timing the ribs and chicken, that is where the major problems start. The contest I did it at was over 10 years ago, and I don't even remember how I did it!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
bearnakedbbq
Full Fledged Farker

I've cooked on two at several events. I think it would be hard to only have one grill. Sure it can be done, but for me the cost of going to an event is so high I wouldn't do it.

Unread 08-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
BMerrill

One last idea that would work.

Get 2 of the GMG Smoke Shelf (Upper Racks) for the JB. Need 2 beacuse the rack is full width but only half depth.
If the large meats are not done by the time you need the grill space, just place the large meats wrapped and foiled on the racks till done. The racks will double the grill space.
BMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote