THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dauvis

is Blowin Smoke!
When researching Viking vittles, my thoughts kept turning to making a stew. Since I've never done a proper stew before (let's just say a can opener was all the equipment I needed), I went with that as my challenge.

For my menu, I decided on a beef stew, a honey/walnut flat bread, and a baked apple for dessert.

The players
5y5z.jpg

Stew meat after smoking for a bit
v9k2.jpg

Searing the meat
mad9.jpg

Ready to deglaze
1f7p.jpg

Ready for onions, garlic, and thyme.
knmo.jpg

Veggies chopped and ready
1u9j.jpg

Apples stuffed with honey, walnuts, and cinnamon
hwga.jpg

Apples by the fire
m0n3.jpg

Cooking flatbread ala the grilled pizza method
nbzc.jpg

The end result
yojk.jpg

Some things worked well and some not so well. Helpful tips appreciated and thanks for looking.

That is awesome!
I'm loving the Viking theme!

When researching Viking vittles, my thoughts kept turning to making a stew. Since I've never done a proper stew before (let's just say a can opener was all the equipment I needed), I went with that as my challenge.

For my menu, I decided on a beef stew, a honey/walnut flat bread, and a baked apple for dessert.

The players
5y5z.jpg

Stew meat after smoking for a bit
v9k2.jpg

Searing the meat
mad9.jpg

Ready to deglaze
1f7p.jpg

Ready for onions, garlic, and thyme.
knmo.jpg

Veggies chopped and ready
1u9j.jpg

Apples stuffed with honey, walnuts, and cinnamon
hwga.jpg

Apples by the fire
m0n3.jpg

Cooking flatbread ala the grilled pizza method
nbzc.jpg

The end result
yojk.jpg

Some things worked well and some not so well. Helpful tips appreciated and thanks for looking.

Looks delicious, Dauvis. I imagine smoking the beef, browning, deglazing and then smoking it again in an aromatic stew would have given the stew a huge amount of flavour. That's an impressive cook for someone who's only reheated stew from a can before. Love the idea of the honey walnut flatbread and the honey walnut cinnamon baked apple, looks like a feast Vikings would love, too. What did you think didn't work out? Can't see what it could be from here.

Way to jump in with both feet!!:clap:
It all sounds great, I'm with HT on the baked apples...:hungry:

Great cook thread, thanks for sharing.:thumb:
A TD contender for sure, good luck.

Looks delicious, Dauvis. I imagine smoking the beef, browning, deglazing and then smoking it again in an aromatic stew would have given the stew a huge amount of flavour. That's an impressive cook for someone who's only reheated stew from a can before. Love the idea of the honey walnut flatbread and the honey walnut cinnamon baked apple, looks like a feast Vikings would love, too. What did you think didn't work out? Can't see what it could be from here.

Yes, it had a lot of flavor and it was good. Certainly, it was outside my normal dishes (but that was whole point of doing the TD).

The flat bread gave me some problems. The dough was a sticky mess which made it a challenge. Some extra flour and some time in the fridge helped. I was expecting the flatbread to have a bit more sweetness to it. In hindsight, I should have put some butter and/or honey on it. The other thing was the use of the turnip instead of potato. I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked in the stew but my wife didn't like the texture.

Back