The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Where is Jamie Geer?

I decided to buy the Jambo Backyard - but it was a close call between that and the Lang 48 Patio.

So, I've left several messages for Jamie to place the order. He has yet to call me back. I wonder if he's on vacation or something. Strange, as I have heard great things about his level of service. Any of you have similar experiences?

I guess if I don't hear back, I'll order the dang Lang.
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Know Bull
On the road to being a farker

Unconfirmed - but I hear tell that there is a 9 month wait on a new Jambo.

Plus Jamie is a competitor; and you know how much time that takes away from you.

But if you are comparing a Jambo and a Lang, you are comparing apples and oranges. Jambo is an offset with some innovative (but not unique) air flow characteristics. A Lang is a reverse flow. If you are intending to cook hot and fast, you may be disappointed in a Lang. If you are looking to cater off of your rig, you may be disappointed in a Jambo. With all due respect, maybe a little more research should be done.

You may also wish to inquire about R&O Smokers. I cannot speak to their quality, but I am seeing a lot of them starting to pop up at competitions. They certainly look good.

Three FEC100
Yoder YS640 pellet cooker
Backwoods Gater
Hasty-Bake Legacy
Big Green Egg - medium
Cookshack model SM050
The Good One Rodeo clone
Make an offer.....need to sell a few......:doh:
Know Bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I don't think Jambo backyard cookers are a 9 month wait, just the larger size ones. But the backyards/Juniors still have a little wait on them from what I hear.
[SIZE="1"][B]Yoder [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Smokers[/COLOR] YS1500, [COLOR="Red"]Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr.[/COLOR], Weber: [COLOR="Red"]18.5" OT(L)[/COLOR], SJG(AU) & [COLOR="Sienna"](DI)[/COLOR][/B] - [I]Past Cookers[/I]: Yoder Smokers YS640 [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Comp Cart[/COLOR], [COLOR="Red"]Kamado Joe Classic[/COLOR], OKJoe's Longhorn, [COLOR="Red"]UDS[/COLOR], Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), [COLOR="Red"]22.5" OT(L)[/COLOR]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller[/FONT][/SIZE]
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
2000milesofsmoke
On the road to being a farker

You can order a Jambo backyard from big poppa smokers for $2300 or so (includes shipping), but they mention there is a 10-12 week wait time for Jamie to build it.
2000milesofsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Bull View Post
Unconfirmed - but I hear tell that there is a 9 month wait on a new Jambo.

Plus Jamie is a competitor; and you know how much time that takes away from you.

But if you are comparing a Jambo and a Lang, you are comparing apples and oranges. Jambo is an offset with some innovative (but not unique) air flow characteristics. A Lang is a reverse flow. If you are intending to cook hot and fast, you may be disappointed in a Lang. If you are looking to cater off of your rig, you may be disappointed in a Jambo. With all due respect, maybe a little more research should be done.

You may also wish to inquire about R&O Smokers. I cannot speak to their quality, but I am seeing a lot of them starting to pop up at competitions. They certainly look good.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I plan to use the smoker at home, but I want to try competitions some day. I do not cater, except for parties at my house. I do like to cook hot and fast. I've cooked on a Lang 60 before, and it's a really great smoker. I decided on the Jambo because I like the insulated box, and so many folks here recommend it. Plus, I also heard it is easier to cook hotter on it than on the Lang.

I did talk to Jamie about a month ago, and he said I could get the Backyard by October. He answered a lot of questions for me and was super nice. I hadn't made my decision at that time, so I didn't order it. Prob should have. I'm sure he's a busy guy.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

He has opened a restaurant and is busier than a whore on dollar day. He'll eventually get back with you, great guy just stretched to the max right now.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
AZScott
Take a breath!

I'd personally call Big Poppa Smokers and talk to them about the Jambo. Their customer service is stellar.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

PM TuscaloosaQ and save yourself alot of money. Or check out his website shirleyfabrication.com
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
MilitantSquatter

I had sent an e-mail to the addy on the Jambo website last week and I did not get a response yet either...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 08-05-2013 at 05:57 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Wneill20
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScott View Post
I'd personally call Big Poppa Smokers and talk to them about the Jambo. Their customer service is stellar.
I agree Big Poppa Smokers will get it done for you.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
wjwheeler
Full Fledged Farker

Jamie isn't good at responding to emails or voicemails. The best time to call him is 8-12 central time. If you really want a Jambo, call him until you get in touch with him.
He is consumed right now trying the restaurant business. "Bless his heart."
MMS Vulcan V33 Gravity Feed with Stoker
Myron Mixon 72XC - Sold
Jumbo J3 - Sold
Jacks Old South Original Patio Smoker
Myron Mixon Pitmaster Q3 36" Barrell & 24" Square
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

I have wanted a jambo backyard for a while. Just can't swing it right now. Just not in the budget. But if the wait is a year..... perhaps I should place an order now .

Not that I cater.. but why is this pit not ideal for catering?
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

we can help you....we are the only reseller of Jambo pits...call 877 828 0727 Many times I can get it to you cheaper than Jamie due to the freight deals we get,
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
Novass
Full Fledged Farker

yeah he has opened a bbq shack . picture from texas bbq posse blog

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
we can help you....we are the only reseller of Jambo pits...call 877 828 0727 Many times I can get it to you cheaper than Jamie due to the freight deals we get,

Do you have any idea of the wait time on the Backyard Pit?