oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #136
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Assassin 28 in background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.2 KB, 327 views)

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #137
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Money muscle cuts from both butts, they were great...cut well but just a tad overcooked but not by much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.5 KB, 326 views)

Old 09-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #138
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Rib cross pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.0 KB, 324 views)

Old 09-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #139
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

What a fun cook, hopefully some of this pron looks great. It tasted amazing, especially the ribs and money muscle. So far so good on the meat, finally getting some solid black seasoning inside.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #140
The Pup
Knows what a fatty is.

I am quite intrigued. If you do not mind, I have two questions:

Q1: How even are the temps fore-and-aft and top-to-bottom?
Q2: What's the clean-up like?
The Pup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #141
Biged92
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobdabomb View Post
BigEd92, for some reason the message system wont let me send a message here at work at this moment. Just wanted to let you know I am trying to get one back to you on ordering the 28. Glad you decided on it after seeing what I did.
I received your message. Thank you very much. I spoke with Robin about getting a quote on a 28. She was really nice, and had the quote over to us the same day. Looks like we have all of our funding together, so we'll hopefully be placing an order tomorrow morning. I will keep you posted as to how everything goes.

Thanks again for the help.

22.5 WSM w/ WiFi Stoker | 22.5" OTS | 22.5" Weber Performer | Assassin28
Biged92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #142
Biged92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobdabomb View Post
What a fun cook, hopefully some of this pron looks great. It tasted amazing, especially the ribs and money muscle. So far so good on the meat, finally getting some solid black seasoning inside.
So I have a questions regarding your overnight cook. How much wood did you put in the ash pan for smoke, and how long did it last? And with the overnight cook did you have to get up and add any wood?

One of the issues (if you even want to call it that) with gravity fed smokers is that you have to keep adding wood every hour or two for as long as you want smoke added to your food. I generally like 4 to 5 hours of smoke for the big meats, and was wondering if you cook along the same lines.

I have heard of guys mixing wood with the coals, but for me I wouldn't want to mix in too much wood, as I would probably wrap the food half way through, and would be a waste of wood and smoke.

Sorry for babbling. It's getting late, and am exciting about ordering the new Assassin.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #143
pbarber
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Assassin28

I too have an Assassin28 and I use lump charcoal. When I do a overnight cook, I put a small chunk of hickory in for every few pieces of lump and it has worked for me. At first I was concerned about creating a bridge that would stop the lump from falling as needed but I haven't had any problems so far. I'm also careful about the size of the lump and break down any large pieces prior to using.

I've read about using a pipe filled with the very small pieces of smoking wood inserted in the chute, then the charcoal is added around the pipe. Finally the pipe is removed and a self feeding system is created. As of yet, I have not tried it but it sounds like it sounds work.

If you wrap your food, you can learn how much smoke wood to add while filling the chute so that it will not be wasted.

I love my smoker, it is by far the best thing I've bought in many years.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #144
mep
Full Fledged Farker

If the pieces of lump charcoal are no bigger than 6" long there would be absolutely no reason to worry about the charcoal bridging. The charcoal chute opens from 6" to 8" to prevent bridging.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #145
Ron_L

Great looking food!

What temp did you use to cook the ribs and chicken?

The Naked Fatty!

Coming soon! Chicago Area Mid Winter Lunch!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #146
Biged92

Well we did it. Ordered the new Assassin28 today over the phone, and should see it in 3 to 4 weeks. I think this is going to be the longest month of my life.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #147
Ron_L

Congrats!

The Naked Fatty!

Coming soon! Chicago Area Mid Winter Lunch!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #148
PekingPorker
Take a breath!

Fantastic pRon! I did a full practice run Labor Day on the 28 myself. We got about 3 inches of rain and the Assassin held up like a champ. We were soaked, but the food was good.

After the smoker was running for about 10 hours, I was getting about 15-20 degree heat variance from the bottom rack to the top. Bottom was running 265, Racks 2 and 3 running steady at 250, and top rack about 245.

I think when I was opening the door water was dripping onto the top rack (because the angle of my driveway), which was cooling the top rack a bit.
XL and Small BGEs, 18.5 wsm
GREEN Thermapen x2
KCBS CBJ
Facebook: Craft BBQ, The Art of Smoke Instagram: @craftbbq
PekingPorker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #149
rdsmokes
Found some matches.

Great looking smoker!! You are gonna love it!! Let see some smoke!!!
rdsmokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #150
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biged92 View Post
So I have a questions regarding your overnight cook. How much wood did you put in the ash pan for smoke, and how long did it last? And with the overnight cook did you have to get up and add any wood?

One of the issues (if you even want to call it that) with gravity fed smokers is that you have to keep adding wood every hour or two for as long as you want smoke added to your food. I generally like 4 to 5 hours of smoke for the big meats, and was wondering if you cook along the same lines.

I have heard of guys mixing wood with the coals, but for me I wouldn't want to mix in too much wood, as I would probably wrap the food half way through, and would be a waste of wood and smoke.

Sorry for babbling. It's getting late, and am exciting about ordering the new Assassin.
For the longer cooks I have had so far, I normally have used 3-4 chucks of peach and maybe 1-2 chunks of pecan. It will last for a couple hours at least from what ive seen opening it. I do two wood dumps for the 10 hour for my butts, the first 3-4 hours it got the smoke I wanted obviously after you see the cross sections of the money muscle and the ribs on both cooks in pictures I have posted.