The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 07-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
xbullyx
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default So I was looking at a smoker for a small restaurant....

And, came across this one :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PITBOSS-INSU...item2c708528e6

Looks good, but can not really afford it...
Got to looking at some of the pics and noticed it had an auberins PID controller
www.auberins.com

So I get the bright idea to convert a 500 gallon reverse flow into a gas assisted set it and forget it.. Has anyone tried this or know all the parts I may need for the MOD???
xbullyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
bizznessman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbullyx View Post
And, came across this one :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PITBOSS-INSU...item2c708528e6

Looks good, but can not really afford it...
Got to looking at some of the pics and noticed it had an auberins PID controller
www.auberins.com

So I get the bright idea to convert a 500 gallon reverse flow into a gas assisted set it and forget it.. Has anyone tried this or know all the parts I may need for the MOD???
The first thing you should do is check with your food licensing authority (HD, etc) to find out if this type of unit is allowed for use in/with a restaurant. Many states are getting very picky about requiring commercial grade (i.e. stainless steel) equipment in restaurants. I don't know if that is the case in your area but here in Kansas we do run up against that.

Unread 07-31-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

up here it is NSF and if it has gas must have the UL tag...

Unread 07-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
xbullyx
Found some matches.

Here in the good ole state of AL, I have a few buddies running bbq joints with homemade outside smokers, I do not believe the SS will be a problem.

Also, I think UL tag is if you want to produce more to sell it should be inspected. If it is for yourself I do not believe it is mandatory, but I will check that out..

Thanks for the response
xbullyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
stokestackbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I spent some time trying to decide between a cooker from the different outfits in Sikeston, MO. Pit boss grills (the one you linked to), Nolan's Cookers, and Cadillac cookers. I'll tell ya- my experience dealing with the first two was terrible! Those guys bashed eachother to no end- calling eachother theives, liars, no-good sunofabitches. The guy from Nolan told me that he spoke to a marine sniper who was threatening to kill the guy from Pit Boss.

It was too hard to cut through the bull****, and I ended up buying one from the people at Cadillac Cookers. They were a little (10%) more expensive but made a fantastic product without all the nonsense and wouldn't bash their competition. The rig has held up nicely over the first season and I can't recommend them enough.
stokestackbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

My brother in law owns a Cadillac and I've cooked on it a few times. Solid made product that turns out quality que.

One of the Texas Montly top 50 joints here in town cooks on one, www.corkscrewbbq.com

I was going to purchase one but my footprint on my porch trailer and my business direction led me to a Pitmaker Vault. If my capacity outgrows that, I'lll be looking at a Cadillac Rotissere for sure.

Good luck.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Smoke House Moe
Knows what a fatty is.

Pitmaker Vault. I couldn't be happier; and my customers are are happier than I am.

Not that it's needed, but I just ordered a Guru for mine. Looking for just a little more sleep.