The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-23-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Cockeye_BBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Talking Grillin' On The Bay - March 25th - Brooklyn, NY

Hey BBQ-B!

Just a quick note before this weekend to say I'll see you guys there and I really hope to hear your name a couple times at 4pm.

Here's to a really close second place for ya! ;)
Cockeye_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
BrooklynQ
Banned

Erik - It's you vs. Sledneck. May the best man win!
Got a bunch of Brethren coming but not too many cooking.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Erik do have any of those 8" ceramic baking dishes that fit the small egg ? Bring me one. I'll bring cash.

Steve
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Well,

I spent the day judging the Grilling on the Bay contest. Phil dropped me off around 6pm back at the house. The wife and I went out to TGIF for some dinner. It was crowded so they were actually serving some food to the people waiting. I had a few buffalo wings. We sat down and I ordered some soup, salad and their new BBQ pulled pork sammich. I guess judging contests is hard work.

Hey Phil, what did you have for dinner?
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

Got back home @ 5:30... went to the diner with my wife and had breafast for dinner- three eggs with ham, cheese,toast and home fries.

Rob and Matt - great job to both of you for pulling it off...

Great time judging again, but I am really itching to cook the first contest of the year now. Food entries were better than Snowshoe Challenge last week. .

Unread 03-25-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

So what are the results from THe Grillin' On The Bay
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

I think.... not 100 % postitive about RC.

Grand Champs.. Purple Turtle
Reserve. fuggetaboutit.

entries were... well.... let say alot of first timers were there.

Sledneck was our only competing team..Steve finished 5th overall, great for 1st time out. Congrats to Steve for that one!!

cockeye bbq and zachs(frontstreet smokehouse) took the walk a few times also.

had a great time.. Great job to Rob and Matt for pulling this off in 2 months. Met a whole bunch of Brethren a whole bunch of local certified judges. Didnt know we had some many in the area.

Me, steve, vinny and Michelle (Lunchlady)judged. 3 outstanding entries, a Salmon fish filet stuffed with ??? somethin from fuggetaboutit.. a ground chuck patty stuffed with mushrooms and gorgonzolla by R.U.B.S team, and purple turtles margarita cheesecake. Some entries were ..WTF?? .. we wont go there.. but one thing for sure... its been 5 hours since turning.. and im still stuffed.

Must've been the crackers.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2006, 12:37 AM   #8
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default Results

It's early in the morning, or late at night depending on how you want to look at it, so I'll post the entire list tomorrow, but here's the Overall Rankings for Grillin' on the Bay.

10. Beer Belly Porkers
9. Smokin Dave's Tailgate Party
8. Smokey Mikes Brooklyn BBQ
7. Cockeye BBQ
6. Righteous Urban BBQ - Paul Kirk's RUB restaurant
5. South Shore Smokers
4. BS BBQ
3. Front Street Smoke House
2. Water Front Ale House
1. Purple Turtle Catering

I was really pleased to see Greg and Nancee from Purple Turtle take GC. Besides being a great team and folks, it turns out Greg went to school at St. Mark back in the 60's. What a trip it must have been for him to be wondering the old hallways and schoolyard.

We had four last minute cancelations, but from what I hear, everyone who showed had a great time. A big thanks to Steve and Nancy and the guy with the broken truck for repping. Their performance was flawless and made it a well run event. We kept draining that truck of all it's agave nectar all afternoon.

And congratulations to South Shore Smokers - Sledneck's team (Steve), 5th overall at his first event, at which he cooked solo with only some help from his son. Excellent job Steve. And remember, not many teams can say they beat Paul Kirk's restaurant at their first time out of the gate.

I'l give you guys a more detailed report on organizing an event later. Thanks to everyone who participated or sent good wishes our way which kept the snow and rain away.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2006, 07:38 AM   #9
Sledneck
Time Out

What a great time! I had alot of fun. Placing 5th overall was a thrill as well as placing 4th in pork. I think my cooking partner(my 11 year old son) had a better time. Rob and Matt did such a great job, it was all first class and ran so smoothely. I really learned alot and received some real good tips from some of the other competitors. Most of my low score were for presentation but i know what i have to work on now. Congratulations to all the winners.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2006, 08:15 AM   #10
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Not only had Sledneck never competed before, He had NEVER even been to a competition before. 5th overall is OUTSTANDING

Last edited by Smoker; 03-26-2006 at 09:44 AM..
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #11
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great job guys and congrats on what sounds like an outstanding event, Rob!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2006, 11:15 AM   #12
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck
What a great time! I had alot of fun. Placing 5th overall was a thrill as well as placing 4th in pork. I think my cooking partner(my 11 year old son) had a better time.

Now that is cool. That's a memory you can't put a price on!

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #13
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Gratulation! Ich gratuliere! Wir gratulieren! (Congratulations). It sounds like it was a great event and I am sad I missed it.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Talking I'd like to thank the academy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
Great job guys and congrats on what sounds like an outstanding event, Rob!
Though I'm not Rob, I'll jump in and say thanks, Jeff. We had a great time putting it together-- it was an honor to work with Rob and was so worth it to see the cooks having fun--and to see Sledneck and son do so well and be so happy while doing it. That's what I'm talking about.

I was also really happy to get a chance to meet Michelle (Lunchlady), Smoker, Phil and Militant Squatter for the first time-- thanks for giving your time to judge, folks.

I'm pretty wiped, but wanted to say that our sponsors came through BIG TIME for the goodie bags-- hawgeyesbbq, dizzypigbbq, Spicewine Ironworks, HomeBBQ, and Manny's Pitbull Hotsauce-- awesome stuff all around. Also, big thanks to Paul Kirk's RUB who were our main sponsors, and Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz for (finally) showing up w/ our proclamation. Our reps from NEBS, Nancy and Dave Peterson and Steve Farrin were just awesome and kept everything running smoothly and just made it happen-- couldn't have done it without them

We raied about 1,500 dollars for the kids and there was a bunch of press folks there, so I hope we see something soon..both Waterfront Ale House and RUB gave the checks they received back as donations to the program-- super cool....All in all, I couldn't be prouder...

Can't wait for next year!

--Matt

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #15
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

A successful day for BBQ!

Great job by the organizers, sponsors, REPS, judges, and teams!

That is what it is all about

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote