The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Smoking Terrapin
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Italian Dressing marinade?

Anyone ever tried this on pork? I've done on steaks before, but generally stick to the mustard and vinegar injections and marinades on pork. I got some boneless country style ribs (aka. sliced boneless pork shoulder) and figured it was worth a try. I'll try to not eat it before photographing some pron...

Real question is how to finish them. I'm not sure I'd baste with Italian dressing, but don't want them just tasting like my standard smoked pork. Suggestions? I'm thinking some diluted OJ or OJ & Worcestershire.
Smoking Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Brian in Maine
is One Chatty Farker

I marinate, and baste pork loins with Italian dressing all the time. That is some mighty fine eating. With pork be careful how long you marinate, as you can make pork paste if you go too long.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have used on Chops & Chicken. A different flavor GOSP and a Hickory smoke baptism. Use a Tomato based KC style sauce in a hot tub the last HR. with a quick reverse sere right before yo pull em off.

Unread 07-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Terrapin View Post
Anyone ever tried this on pork? I've done on steaks before, but generally stick to the mustard and vinegar injections and marinades on pork. I got some boneless country style ribs (aka. sliced boneless pork shoulder) and figured it was worth a try. I'll try to not eat it before photographing some pron...

Real question is how to finish them. I'm not sure I'd baste with Italian dressing, but don't want them just tasting like my standard smoked pork. Suggestions? I'm thinking some diluted OJ or OJ & Worcestershire.
I often marinate chops or Kabob pieces in Italian Dressing when I cook on the grill. I also baste them with the remaining marinade while they are still cooking before they are near done.

Unread 07-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Bernsteins Restaurant Italian is excellent with FISH! Yeah!

Soak some Salmon fillets in the stuff and sear! WOOOO WHOOO!!

Unread 07-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

I really like Stubb's Pork Marinade. After marinating, you can cook it down to make a spicy sauce.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

I don't know about marinading, but I sometimes use zesty Italian dressing as a slather on my large cuts and ribs. It works great and is a lot cheaper than olive oil.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

I marinade and grill chops all the time in Italian dressing. My kids love it.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Super Fast and Accurate Blue Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
buccaneer
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I never use commercial dressings if I'm cooking, and the reason why is because after an industrial chemist friend who worked at a "kitchen lab" designing these products told me that when they make a product like a salad dressing, they do not test for the harmful molecular changes that would come if it were heated.
They are not responsible for it, they do not have a commitment for protecting people from doing things other than intended use.
He put it like " we sell rope, but if you hang yourself don't look to us".

Unread 07-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
deguerre

That's because you're not British. I've seen safety instructions for a British electric fry pan that stated "Do not use pan on stove" or some such...
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
bluetang

I've mixed Wooster with Good Seasons Italian and marinated London broils, but never pork. I will be a trying it tho.

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote