ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Which tree should I plant for smoking wood?

I am interested in buying this home that doesn't currently have any trees. If I were to buy it, which trees should I plant?

I want a tree that grows as fast as possible for harvesting of limbs for smoking! (Yes, I understand it's going to be years before I'll have any wood but I plan on living at the same home the rest of my life which is a good 40 more years.)

This is in northeast Oklahoma.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Unread 07-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Angel Que
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I would look into the oaks that grow there. Live Oak I just read is only good for centeral and southern OK. But just read this as well:
Oaks
  • Oklahoma has three native varieties of oak trees; the bur oak, the sawtooth oak and the Shumard oak. Suitable for landscaping, oaks need a fair amount of space to grow to full size. Oak trees can reach 90 feet in height and width.
    Read more: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7765475_gu...#ixzz2a5MXbtiD

Angel Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

Oak is great. If you area supports peach and apple I would grow them too. You get fruit and wood for smoking.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Weber: 18.5" OT(L), SJG(AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT(L)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Garrett
is Blowin Smoke!

You may be able to get some fruit trees growing fast enough to start trimming some limbs. Any tree is going to take a few years to have any amount of cooking wood without loosing the tree.

Unread 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Maximum Burn
Knows what a fatty is.

what he heck, you have no trees from? did hey tornado wipe them out? if so, you may lose your grill, sorry weather can be a bitch for outdoor cooking but far better than inside like that guy from arrowsmith.
sdont plant any pine trees because they burn too wet and smoky, but not the good smoky, and theyire roots are shallow so they;kk fall over and crucnk youp roof
i suggest oak, but i THINK that they take a LONG time to grow, so don't hold your beath, I guess plant them anyway, they are STONG trees with good roots can maybe withstand tornado unlike your other weak trees

Unread 07-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Maple is one of the faster growing hardwoods that come to mind. They're kind of trash trees but while you are waiting for oak, hickory and or pecan to get big enough to provide some trimmings you will get some wood.

I'm presuming that you are looking for a few chunks to add to charcoal in something like a UDS or WSM. If you're looking for enough wood to stoke a stick burner, I hope you have some few acres to grow trees!

Keep an eye on CL in the area you plan to move. I see firewood coming up a lot 'round here, some of which is oak or maple. I would also contact arborists or tree companies in the area to see what opportunities exist, it any, to pick up free wood. Construction companies that clear logs might also be a good source.

Unread 07-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like a man who plans a smoke twenty years or so in advance.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
Gr8blsfr
Found some matches.

Use the fruit trees as a crop meaning line them up. Any oaks, maple, etc... use as property boarders or as featured trees, like in a court yard. But definitely plant a variety....
Gr8blsfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Que View Post
I would look into the oaks that grow there. Live Oak I just read is only good for centeral and southern OK. But just read this as well:
Oaks
  • Oklahoma has three native varieties of oak trees; the bur oak, the sawtooth oak and the Shumard oak. Suitable for landscaping, oaks need a fair amount of space to grow to full size. Oak trees can reach 90 feet in height and width.
    Read more: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7765475_gu...#ixzz2a5MXbtiD

Shummard red oaks are beautiful trees, but very slow growing -- and you'd hate to cut it down, anyway. Live oaks are reasonably fast growers, if they will grow there. Live oaks also require annual pruning in January/February to thin them out (protects against storm damage). I gat a lot of Live Oak chunks just out of the branches I cut off every year.

I was just in Tulsa, but didn't pay attention to the trees.

If maple will grow there, it grows fast, then outgrows its water supply and dies, so maples are expendable.

CD
caseydog is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Maximum Burn
Knows what a fatty is.

maples are trash trees? whta kind of unamerican talk is that? everytown and city on our nation has a maple street, bank on that

io agree about planting variety of trees, if you just get one type the ground gets set high Ph in one direction and the trees start killing other trees of other types

Unread 07-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Birch grows relatively fast and I find it to be an excellent smoke wood.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 5 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 1 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Maximum Burn
Knows what a fatty is.

birsh has very interesting bark

Unread 07-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
DriverWild
Full Fledged Farker

You might consider hickory if your area supports it.

Unread 07-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Maximum Burn
Knows what a fatty is.

so what heppend to you r old trees?

i agree with hickory

Unread 07-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

I wouldn't worry about planting trees for smoking.. lol you won't be here by the time they get big enough.. lol
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote