The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
dolomite41
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default UDS Build/First cook

I like to say I am excited to be apart of the forum. Just recently build a UDS over the past week or so. Tested it out yesterday with a 3lb pork shoulder...took about 5 hours to do at 223-250 degrees. Came out real good and enjoyed it. Several questions that I have and hoping that you experienced smokers can answer some questions. I am hosting a party this weekend for about 30-40 people. Going to smoke some shoulders for the party to make pulled pork sandwiches

1. Been looking at some shoulders at the store and it looks like they have a lot of 15+ lbs shoulders. My questions is, if i smoke the whole 15+lb shoulder i read somewhere that its about 1.5 hours per pound which is about 24 hours. WOuld it be better to smoke the shoulder over the 24 hour period or would it be easier if i cut it up in 3 or 4 different piece and maybe smoke them about at 5lbs a piece? I know with having a 15 lb shoulder, ill have to change my coals and wood out half way thru. Not worried about this, just seeing if its okay to smoke around the 24 hour period.

2. Any tips on smoking in the Las Vegas Climate...it is suppose to be around 108 degrees this weekend, kinda concerned about the heat on my UDS and controlling the temp....any tips?

Please help if you know. Thanks
Here are some pics of my first smoke for a test run.
dolomite41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
dolomite41
Found some matches.

Default Pics

Pics from yesterdays smoke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4523.jpg (74.5 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4525.jpg (82.8 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4526.jpg (80.3 KB, 240 views)

Unread 07-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
DeepElemCue
Full Fledged Farker

I've never had pickles on pulled pork....good?
DeepElemCue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
dolomite41
Found some matches.

Tried it on the first sandwich, thought it took away from the taste of the BBQ. Second sandwich at without...liked that one better.

Unread 07-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Wneill20
Full Fledged Farker

Very nice try some cold slaw 50 / 50 apple juice and BBQ Sauce

Unread 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome. IMO being that your kinda new to all this I'd recommend cutting it into three equal size chunks and cookin it that way. Not only will it take a lot less time, you'll have more surface area exposed on the meat for rub and smoke and you'll prolly enjoy yourself a lot more since you won't be frazzled from cooking all night and day. Good luck

Unread 07-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Q Junkie
Full Fledged Farker

Is that the "Re purposing" of a shopping cart?? (Fire Basket)
Dang! I love that!
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
jimstocks53
Knows what a fatty is.

You can shorten the cook time a lot at a higher temp - say, 300 to 325. A shoulder/butt is fat and forgiving - you won't dry it out. and to feed 40 you'll need at least 20 lbs. of cooked meat - two 15 lb pieces will do. That's the way its packaged at Sam's Club. Even with more meat you might not need to split the meat into smaller sizes.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
dolomite41
Found some matches.

@qjunkie- I didnt have a welder so i took a 18inch webber grill for the bottom. The sides i used the Replacement grill grates from walmart and bent them around in a circle, i tied them all up by using some stainless steel zip ties from lowes..came out good for not having a welder

@Jimstocks53 - thanks for the info..yeah the one i cooked yesterday reached 190 on the inside and it was good, but just didnt pull apart like the outside. Would you reccommend a Pork shoulder or a picnic shoulder for the pulled pork. I went to the store today and checked both of them out and not sure which one would be better

Unread 07-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #10
jimstocks53
Knows what a fatty is.

And not to parrot others much more famous than I, 'cook to desired tenderness not temp.' 190 is where I START checking for doneness - not usually ready till higher. You can tell it is ready to pull when the bone is loose or when a fork stabbed into the meat can be rotated. Mine can be ready from 195 to 205 but I don't use the temp as an endpoint.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #11
ChuckS1
Found some matches.

What app is that running on your iPod?
ChuckS1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
daninnewjersey
is One Chatty Farker

Like the others ave said...cut into smaller pieces and cook hotter. I usually get the pork butts from Sams and cut as best as possible into halves. Cook like 300-325 and wrap when the outside looks like you want it to. Don't cook so much to a specific temp but more to feel. When they're probing nicely....when you can slide in and out easily a probe....they're done.

Unread 07-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

+1 to the above advice. Welcome.

It sometimes gets into the triple digits here in SoCal. My UDS doesn't have a problem with it. I might suggest putting it under an easy up so that the ambient heat doesn't screw with the temp readings on your drum.

Unread 07-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

All drums are different as are butts.
That said. I get shoulders two to 15-16 lb pack. I prefer bone-in but often boneless is cheaper, go figure.
Two packs give you 4 8lb butts. I run my drum at 275-285 and they'll take around 9 hours to cook. In the desert heat you could easily run your drum in the 300 range and not have to stay up all night. A wrap at the stall definitely speed up the process.

No matter, possibly the best que your guests have ever eaten.

Unread 07-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #15
dolomite41
Found some matches.

THanks guys for all the advice..i am excited to start the smoke and looking forward to the great taste

Thanks from:--->