The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
katzenfinch
Found some matches.

Default Making a hearth oven, seeking tips

Last October my wife and I bought a house. One of the features that sold me on the place was the elevated fireplace in the great room / kitchen. It was filled with an old Heatilator-type wood stove, but it looked to me like it would make a great cooking fireplace.

It’s pretty big (55" wide, 32" deep, 36" high), so making pizza in it is probably out unless I make a smaller cooking area inside it. A Tuscan grill is the more likely option. I would be happy to hear suggestions from anyone who has experience with this sort of thing.
katzenfinch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

I am including one in my build but am still working on brick BBQ and have no written plan.
You can watch my build for updates when I get that far, hopefully this season yet...

Unless this might be closer to what you are looking for?
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=154198

Oh, Welcome
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
katzenfinch
Found some matches.

Nice project! I had envisioned making a dome-shaped earth oven at our last house, but now that we’ve moved that idea is on the back burner, so to speak.

I would like to get one of those cooking arms for our fireplace! I'd also like to get a door for it, but I suspect that will be a custom fabrication job.

Here’s a photo link that actually works. The space below is for wood storage, and is not connected to the fireplace.

katzenfinch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Pretty cool! Would love to see a better shot of the inside.
A couple thoughts:
Have a reputable fireplace firm inspect for the following-Brick and mortar integrity, thermal insulation and safety air space (remodeling may have compromised this at some point) and flue cleaning and inspection.

Older homes typically have enough natural air leaks for proper draft. If the home has been updated and "sealed up" the oven may not draft correctly leading to excessive smoke in the home (you may need to open a window or install compensation dampener).

A custom door is a must. Once you are cleared that the oven is safe to use, a properly designed door can be put in place after use as it cools and is unattended. As a bonus will help make baking way more efficient!

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote