Best BBQ Joints?

The shed isnt on here... I have to say they missed a good one when they went south.

So, they only went to four states?:tsk::roll:

I am sure Franklin in Austin is very good even though it a relative newcomer to the party. I am not sure how you can leave off a BBQ Joint from Llano or Lockhart TX. Not sure any place in Dallas is a real BBQ Joint. I am confident there are many more BBQ joints in Houston than Dallas given the extensive number of pitmakers in Houston. Also a place that serves shrimp poppers ( Hard 8 BBQ Coppell, TX) does not qualify as a BBQ Joint in my book.

I have heard of Jack Stack in KC and Checkered Pig. All of the other's on the list are unknowns to me. That probably means they are the best BBQ joints. :p

BTW they got one thing right. Dreamland in Huntsville, AL is not on the list. I was not impressed.

Last edited:
Everyone loves a list. I do wonder about the NC BBQ though. It would appear that the picture for Short Sugar's Pit Bar-B-Q is ... BBQ Chicken? Please tell me I'm wrong. :tsk:

Everyone loves a list. I do wonder about the NC BBQ though. It would appear that the picture for Short Sugar's Pit Bar-B-Q is ... BBQ Chicken? Please tell me I'm wrong. :tsk:

Now, be good. They're just making it fair and balanced.

Fair and balanced? In NC, BBQ chicken is an oxymoron, and they've definitely got NC more than balanced.

Shhhhhhhhhhh...they're from New...York...CITY. Bless their pea pickin' little hearts.

I think that list is just for 2013. There's a link at the bottom for a more complete list. I wish the descriptions were more detailed, but I'm guessing that the general reading public wouldn't be as interested in flavor profiles, process, cookers, etc. as folks on here would be.

Anyway - I gotta figure out how to get that job. :hungry:

Jack Stack is the only one I've been to. I remember it being really good, but that was long before I started cooking barbecue.

However, it was my introduction to burned ends when we ordered a whole big farking plate of them (some beef, some pork and some ham). I'll never forget those first burnt ends I had. They blew my mind.

Sweatman's I've heard used to be the greatest BBQ in the world. However, they sold the place a little over a year ago and I've heard many horror stories since. I actually looked at some reviews this morning, ironicly, and it seems like they've tried to bring back the old flavors and style. I haven't been there, so can't say ...

I have been to Maurice's and it is AMAZING. I HATE mustard base sauce, but thier pork is awesome.

Well, when I look at the full roadtrip list of joints visited, they ate at many places I think should be on the top of the list. Perhaps I need to try some of the joints they suggest with a fresh eye. Gotta keep an open mind.

The PIT in Raleigh??? Like this place has history OR decent PORK! Should have gone up the street for 2 blocks and tried Clyde Coopers! Now that place does Q the old fashioned way! Been doing it that way for 43+ years!!!

This is the "2013" version of the "2012" Ultimate bbq roadtrip. Hasn't changed too much! Added a few new ones, but still has most of the old spots too.

There are several MUCH BETTER Q-joints in NC that they missed!!!

The PIT in Raleigh??? Like this place has history OR decent PORK! Should have gone up the street for 2 blocks and tried Clyde Coopers! Now that place does Q the old fashioned way! Been doing it that way for 43+ years!!!

This is the "2013" version of the "2012" Ultimate bbq roadtrip. Hasn't changed too much! Added a few new ones, but still has most of the old spots too.

There are several MUCH BETTER Q-joints in NC that they missed!!!

Gotta agree with you on Clyde Coopers. That place is awesome!

Iff'n one was on a quest for the best Barbecue why would one ever leave Carolina?

Boggles the mind.....

Oh, and as an aside, Odell says stay away from Short Sugars...he and his LadyFriend had dinner there a few weeks back, says he ain't never going back...

Killen's BBQ IS A POP-up on weekends.

New place in Pearland, TX

Killen's BBQ IS A POP-up on weekends. They are converting the old High School cafeteria into the resturant.

Iff'n one was on a quest for the best Barbecue why would one ever leave Carolina?

Boggles the mind.....

Oh, and as an aside, Odell says stay away from Short Sugars...he and his LadyFriend had dinner there a few weeks back, says he ain't never going back...

I definitely agree with you on the best stuff being in NC, but it is interesting to try other BBQ around other areas. Just don't expect it to taste similar to NC Q.

I didn't care for Short Sugar's in Reidsville either! Don't believe that lots of Worcestershire sauce in the bbq sauce goes well with pork!

Back