The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
NYCQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I have a chance to grab this bad boy for free-how to restore

I can get this for free, it was under water during hurricane sandy so it's rusted pretty bad. If I take it can anyone suggest how to restore it? I don't know a lot about it. A friend suggested I take it to an autobody place and have them sandblast the rust off and paint it. Any other suggestions? I don't have a lot of money to put into it but it seems like too good a deal to pass up.
NYCQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
YetiDave
Full Fledged Farker

Sandpaper should take care of the rust - start off with a low grit and work your way up to get it smooth. After that all it'll need is a lick of high temp paint
YetiDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
Houndawg
Found some matches.

You'd definitely want to repack the wheel bearings too. Maybe even replace them, salt water is a b!tch.
Houndawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

Hit it with some soap and water to get the salt off it. Degrease it. then go over it with sandpaper or a wire wheel on a drill. Just get the major rust. paint it. grease it up, and start using it. Or skip the grease, and just start using it.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Wood fired pizza oven,Copper Weber Gold, Green Weber Performer, Black Weber Silver, Green logo'd 18 inch Weber Gold, and a UDS of course.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][URL]http://cookinginmyyard.com/[/URL][/SIZE]
jaronimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Mahoney86
On the road to being a farker

As said before repack the wheel bearings or even replace. Have the whole thing (trailer, inside/outside of cooker sandblasted and throw on some hi temp paint. Probably cost you around $500 for all that and you'll have a pristine nice new cooker. And Im close by and Ill be more than happy to fire her up with you! lol
Mahoney86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Deep South
Full Fledged Farker

Since you got it for free, I would consider investing in sand blasting and a quality paint job.

Unread 07-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

Send it to me, and I will take good care of it....

Unread 07-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Could be a great score!!
Since your budget is small I think I would fire it up just to get a feel for how it will run before I spend a nickel on it. It could be a temp control monster... Not that it is junk just that you will need to do some mods on top of the clean up,paint, and wheel bearings...
My .02.

[COLOR=Red]My Build[/COLOR]:
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
Tomah5139
Got Wood.

That's a great score. Maybe get it home and do a little bit at a time. But don't forget to start smoking on it. Make sure you like the set up. As always enjoy the BBQ.
Tomah5139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Rather than using a drill with a wire wheel, get an angle grinder and wire wheel. I haven't priced sand blasting but I bet an angle grinder will be cheaper. (Just not the Harbor Freight one. Get a decent one and you will find many uses for it.)

Repack the wheel bearings and if there is salt water damage, replace them. Of course if you will just be moving it around the yard, no need.

I like the suggestion to cook on it first to see if it is something that works well (and you like it.)

I also like the idea to refurb it a little at a time, hitting the worst parts first and getting some good 'Q out of it in the mean time.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Without seeing it open it is hard to tell but it does not look to me like you need to do a whole lot. Maybe clean and sand the inside of it and repaint and then spray some veggie oil in it and fire it up.

Does it matter if the firebox has rust on the outside? If you are planning on using it at home you don't have to worry about wheel bearings. If you planning on towing it invest in some bearing buddies and a grease gun if you do not have one. That way everytime you go to move it just pump a couple of squirts in each wheel bearing and you are good to go.

Check the tires and make sure there is not weather checking on them. If there is then replace them if you are going to be towing it or a flat tire could really mess up your day.

Unread 07-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
cdollar
Full Fledged Farker

Definitely try a test cook before you spend any money on it. I've seen a lot of homebuilt cookers that looked good but were crappy smokers.

And stop on the way home with it at a high pressure car wash and get ALL the salt out and off of it.

Chuck
cdollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
Tsevg9
On the road to being a farker

Looks like it could be fun. Hope everything works out for ya!

Unread 07-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
dano
Full Fledged Farker

I refinished an old smoker with POR-15 once it and it held up pretty well. Did first coat and ran it at 400 for an hour. Then threw a second coat on and it looked brand new.
1-800-745-6109
Authorized Stump's Smokers Dealer

dano is offline   Reply With Quote