MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #16
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

if you have 3 people then you can create three teams, 3 seperate cooking areas, 3 different cookers...

Old 07-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #17
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Try this question then:

Team A has four guys.
Team B is a solo cook.
At a contest, A & B are set up next to each other.

If one of the guys from Team A runs the boxes for Team B to help him out, is that a rules violation?
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #18
Nordy
On the road to being a farker

I think the rule is clear.

Two teams can't have the same "chicken guy" cooking chicken at a given contest... However the "chicken guy" can cook for one team one weekend and a different team the next...
Nordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #19
Pelkster
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Try this question then:

Team A has four guys.
Team B is a solo cook.
At a contest, A & B are set up next to each other.

If one of the guys from Team A runs the boxes for Team B to help him out, is that a rules violation?
I've been at comps where this happens. My team mates have volunteered, but always turned down. Running boxes, in my humble opinion, is not being an assistant cook.

As far as being the head guy of one team and an assistant on another at the same comp, I feel that is a violation of the rules. Not to mention, how could you find time to do your own cook AND help out with someone elses? I have barely enough time for my own, and that is with a team of 2 or 3 experienced guys.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
Bentley
Babbling Farker

I am not sure that this matters, but these would be two separate teams at two distinct sites and distinct units for cooking at the contest.

But it is not allowed, so I wont be trying it. I have not been looking for a way to circumvent the rules, just trying to figure out why the rule is in effect. kenthanson response is as plausible explanation as I have seen and short an explanation from KCBS is as close as I may get.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Last edited by Bentley; 07-25-2013 at 03:01 PM..
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #21
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Try sending an e-mail to Jeff Stith. He's the Chair of the KCBS Rules Committee. Let him find the reason for the rule and report back to you.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Just did...will see what the response is.

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Old 07-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #23
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

So you are wanting to help another team beat your own team? Am I missing something?

Stacking has to be the answer, otherwise my wife could enter as the head cook of her own team, we could both help each other, and double our chances of finishing DAL!

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #24
Bentley
Babbling Farker

As someone said earlier, the short answer is I cook on more then one team...And it so happens that both of these teams would be at one specific contest each year.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #25
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
As someone said earlier, the short answer is I cook on more then one team...And it so happens that both of these teams would be at one specific contest each year.
I was just giving you a hard time. I know several people this could affect. I would think it would come into play with someone wanting to assist multiple teams from time to time.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #26
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Brad, sounds like we might need a long distance runner this weekend. If we had one we could share him, shouldn't be a rules problem. Not sure my teammate can make 4 trips that far, we're old!

Old 07-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #27
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
Brad, sounds like we might need a long distance runner this weekend. If we had one we could share him, shouldn't be a rules problem. Not sure my teammate can make 4 trips that far, we're old!
I will jog them both over! I am in mid season BBQ shape!

Old 07-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #28
Bentley
Babbling Farker

No response to my email yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince RnQ View Post
Try sending an e-mail to Jeff Stith. He's the Chair of the KCBS Rules Committee. Let him find the reason for the rule and report back to you.

Last edited by Bentley; 07-27-2013 at 11:10 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #29
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
No response to my email yet...
He's on Facebook too.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #30
BMerrill
Full Fledged Farker

@ Bentley, I'll be cooking at that same contest, so it could be 3 teams at the same time. .... but you have to cook the chicken....
BMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote