The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Oldhoss
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Smoked And Grilled NY Strip Burgers

Got some very fine hamburger from a private butcher - 6 bucks a pound for NY Strip with Prime Rib fat tossed in. I put salt, mango/chipolte powder and pepper bourbon powder in the hamburger and let sit in the fridger for a few hours. I smoked the burgers on the Kettle at about 175-180f for an hour or so. This is after 20 minutes:

Sweet hickory smoke:

After flipping at about 40 minutes:

I elevate the chunks above the coals with a small grate balanced on firebricks:

I find I get a somewhat cleaner smoke. I did not come up with this myself....saw a post at a board...probably this one.....the fella had his wood on the cooking grate above the coals. I tried that but the coal bed had to be deep and that meant alot of coals and heat. For my purposes this is what I do:

If I want to add coals I can do so via the Kettle's hinged cooking grate. If I need to move the wood or add to it I can move the small grate the wood is on without having to remove the cooking grate.

As soon as the burgers started getting firm I removed them to the kitchen and the fridge after 10 minutes or so. I used the Akorn to grill but used the platter for the difusser to hold my charcoal. I use 2 charcoal grates from Kettles offset to hold the coals:

The burgers before hitting the grill:

After a few minutes flipped:

Fresh off the grill:

Dressed with chipolte mayonaise (1/2 cup mayo and 2 small chipolte peppers with adobo sauce) and fried oinions (olive oil, butter and a healthy dose of spice rub I made up for ribs cooked for about 45 minutes):

Took a couple burgers I made afterwards over to some friends at work. One of the guys said it was the best thing I ever made. They were pretty good. I have had these smoked steak hamburgers before and added nothing at all...they are beauty naked. I have also finished the process by grilling the burgers on an upside down cast iron frying pan put over charcoal. When doing the cast iron frying pan finsih the burgers are extremely juicy and have a even crust.

Last edited by Oldhoss; 07-21-2013 at 12:36 AM..
Oldhoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
buccaneer
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Gorgeous!!!!!

Unread 07-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
SurrealOne
On the road to being a farker

Awesome Awesome!
SurrealOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
ssv3
is One Chatty Farker

Oh wow! Great job!

Unread 07-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Mix on the burgers sound great , they look good .....
Big Bears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
cholloway
is One Chatty Farker

Those look absolutely wonderful.
33 year old Char-Broil 450
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
2003 Black Weber SS Performer
Weber 22.5 OTG with rotisserie & Smokenator
Weber SJS & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
STOK Island gasser
Recipient of Official & Un-Official Moink Certificates
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #7
unzippy
Got Wood.

What is a "private" butcher?
unzippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unzippy View Post
I certainly do not want my privates butchered. However, them's some mighty tasty looking burgers!
LFSA RED Thermapen,
And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Oldhoss
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unzippy View Post
Not a supermarket or chain store. In this case the fella is a Lebonese immigrant who has been a butcher for 30+ years and has his own one-off shop. His dry aging room has over 300 thousand dollars of beef in it....give me some warm clothes and I could live in that room.

Unread 07-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
hachi-roku_fan
Full Fledged Farker

Burgers look super moist and awesome. I wonder if that's from your smoking process or from the meat used for the burger
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
Oldhoss
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
Burgers look super moist and awesome. I wonder if that's from your smoking process or from the meat used for the burger
The meat was nowhere near that lean or extra lean crap they push on us. It was regular ground beef - about 20% fat. I kept the temp down during the smoking phase and checked the meat every 8-10 minutes during the last half hour to make sure I did not overcook them. I pull the burgers when they start to get just a little firm in the centre.....you have to leave some rare meat in the core to allow for grilling later. If I have to refirdgerate the meat while heating up the grill I also leave time to bring it back to room temp.. Cold meat does not go on the grill....sometimes the smoker but never the grill. The grilling stage was done at about 550f. I go buy the lid temp on the Akorn. Steaks are done at 675f. Never done burgers that high as I believe flareups would happen too often to get an even cook.

I have had my temp get away from me during the smoking phase and not pulled the meat out of the chamber. This results in a dry burger. Temp should be kept under 200f in my experience.

Unread 07-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
bshm
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Sounds like a good opportunity for a medium burger, I don't trust supermarket beef for that.
bshm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
Oldhoss
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshm View Post
Sounds like a good opportunity for a medium burger, I don't trust supermarket beef for that.
If I am stuck into using supermarket beef that is too lean I will add some prime rib fat with the coarse grinder wheel. I keep chunk size pieces vacuum packed in the freezer for occasions like this. I have been grinding beef for a year and a half to varying success. I have done better than this Lebanese fella once and that was with t-bones. On average I do almost as good as this guy so now my go-to source for beauty burger meat is this fella....I be treatin' him real good. I have loved burgers for years before I discovered the wonders of smoking about a year ago and really rediscovered what charcoal can do meat during grilling just a few months ago. It being summer in Canada and me having gotten my 7th outdoor cooking device 2 days ago means "days of hamburgers" can happen at any time and will.

Unread 07-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
bshm
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhoss View Post
If I am stuck into using supermarket beef that is too lean I will add some prime rib fat with the coarse grinder wheel. I keep chunk size pieces vacuum packed in the freezer for occasions like this. I have been grinding beef for a year and a half to varying success. I have done better than this Lebanese fella once and that was with t-bones. On average I do almost as good as this guy so now my go-to source for beauty burger meat is this fella....I be treatin' him real good. I have loved burgers for years before I discovered the wonders of smoking about a year ago and really rediscovered what charcoal can do meat during grilling just a few months ago. It being summer in Canada and me having gotten my 7th outdoor cooking device 2 days ago means "days of hamburgers" can happen at any time and will.
I was thinking e-coli, been there done that and hope never to again. I love a good juicy burger with a nice charred crust and pink in the middle. I just don't trust normal meat for that so it's a rare treat.
bshm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
pmad
Full Fledged Farker

I don't mean to be rude, but are you actually suggesting there are grades of fat?
I'd let someone think I was their private butcher also if they were paying good money and buying into this nonsense.
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote