MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Fake Farmer
On the road to being a farker

Default First shot at ABTs - Help Needed

I've got a T-Bone steak, red potatoes and ABTs planned for dinner on 22.5" Performer while my wife is out of town with the boys. Been searching, but have not found the "standard" for ABTs. Most results were for large quantities during competition and bacon wrapped. I'm going with simplest way to try these for the first time.
Mexican Cheese and maybe some diced up ham. Maybe they're just poppers without bacon?

Any info on prep, temp, and times would be appreciated. Thanks.
Fake Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

There really isn't a standard. I guess the basic ABT is a mix of cream cheese, another cheese and some meat, so you're heading in the right direction.

For prep, you can either make boats by cutting the jalapeño in half length-wise or use them whole. Boats are easier to clean out. Either way, the amount of the membrane that you leave in will dictate how how they are.

Cook time is really based on the bacon and getting the jalapeño cooked. Thicker bacon takes longer and the longer the jalapeño cooks the better they are for me.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Hmmm, I'v got some fresh (still on the vine ) jalapenos...
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

I literally just put a batch on my 18.5wsm at 1300 of something similar. I halved them, scoped out the innards with a spoon, washed clean. Layed down thin chicken breast added rub, Mexican cheese, and wrapped with bacon. Then cut up kielbasa wrapped in bacon making a little cup, dripped in some agave honey and some brown sugar. Threw them on at 225, thinking about 2 hours but will check in another hour.
GoolsbyMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

My favorite ABT is whipped cream cheese crushed Pineapple and chopped prosciutto wrapped in a thin cheap bacon like Bar "S".

Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
mep
Full Fledged Farker

It is the bacon that makes the ABT. In my opinion you gotta have the bacon!

Old 07-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

As Ron_L suggested....Dragon Tails. Cream cheese with sausage and cilantro. Don't forget the bacon!

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
bananablack
Full Fledged Farker

neo those look nice

Old 07-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

The Rueben ABT is good. Also, Cream cheese chopped crasins is good.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

My standard and our favorite is to cut the stem off...cut in half length ways....us a spoon to devain ....and fill with a mix of cream cheese, shredded cheese, rub, and blues hog. Wrap in thin bacon and put on kabbob s and 250 for about 1.75 hrs.
NOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Be sure to leaves few seeds in one of them for a cheap form of Russian roulette.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

I REALLY like them with something sweet mixed into the cream cheese mixture. my favorite way to make them is cream cheese, mexican cheese and a fruit preserve. Then you put a little sliver of sausage in and wrap it all in bacon that has been partially cooked so that it comes out crispy.
bobaftt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Here is how I do them. I start out by cutting the tops off, I then remove the core & seeds (search Jalapeno corer on Amazon) and then cut them length wise.

For filling I use Laughing Cow Creamy Swiss wedges (1 wedge for every Jalapeno) and mix it with Green Onion & Bacon Crumbles to taste.

If my Jalapenos are large enough I add a cooked chicken tender strip (or Shrimp) and wrap with a strip of Bacon. (Toothpicks as required)

I cook them direct for about 5 to 10 minutes and then indirect for around 25 to 30 minutes depending on my grill temp. (Until Bacon is done)

Always a big hit.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

I clean my jalapenos like DerHusker, but a similar vegetable/fruit peeler works as well as a "Jalapeno corer".

My go-to filling is cream cheese mixed with shredded Mexican blend cheese with some BBQ sauce mixed in for some sweetness. I've added red pepper jelly as well.

The great thing about ABTs is you can fill them with whatever you like.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Pepper jelly mixed in. YUM.