The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
Leonia
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Pit Barrel Cooker - any tips?

Hi,

New to the forum and smoking, after having enjoyed tricking out an ECB and producing decent (but not great) ribs and brisket since April. This past week I purchased a PBC, seems like a good product and was wondering if anyone could give me some insights on the best way to use this grill. Spoke with Noah but still have a few questions:
1 - Can I put wood chips mixed into the briquettes to give a more smoky taste? How much?
2 - Why briquettes and not lump? Just curious on this one.
3 - Do you still mop the brisket?

Thanks!
Leonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

I dont own a PBC but I do have a UDS which is almost the same thing IMO. I would use 3 or 4 wood chunks (not chips) Briquetts burn longer and at a more consistent temp. And I guess you could mop it if you wanted to.

Unread 07-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
16Adams
is One Chatty Farker

Default Pbc

I use my PBC on average once per week. I use 75% all natural hardwood briquettes and 25% lump. I use no more than a baseball size amount of pecan, hickory or store bought made for smoking mesquite. I add the wood when the coals are ready and right before I add the meat. Quality all natural hardwood briquettes are easy to find. Trader Joes, HEB, Royal Oak, B&B, etc etc. the only Kingsford I use is the Kingsford Competition and I really like it, it's just hard to find where I live. I don't mop per se, however about an hour into a cook I will apply Shack Attack sauce with a squeeze bottle to most meats. Also while the lid is off I will drop a rough chopped onion onto the coals right before I put the lid on. The smell drives the neighbors crazy.

Experiment with your PBC. You really can't mess anything up unless you over smoke or undercook.

Craigslist finds Tiernan SOB, New Braunfels Black Diamond, Big Green Egg Mini

By the way, did she mention my name-just in passing?
Gordon Lightfoot
16Adams is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
BayouFrogCake
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default PBC experience

Hi Leonia,

I too am fairly new to this but have had my PBC now for about a month and have turned out some amazing BBQ with it, at least that's what's am told anyway

So I hope I can help you with some of your questions.

1. Absolutely! I have used both Kingsford hickory flavored and regular briquettes and added small chips of hickory to get a better smoke. I DO NOT use lighter fluid, I use a chimney smoker just in case you were curious about that. As for how much, just don't overflow the basket. I keep the chips fairly close to the surface as to really let that smoke absorb in the early part of the cook.

2. The reason for briquettes and not lump is because lump burns quicker than briquettes. So if you are doing a long smoke like ribs or a brisket you may need to add extra lumps before the cook is over and with the PBC that can be be out of inconvenient with the basket and all. I can tell you that I have filled the basket with regular briquettes and they were still burning 7 hours later! Just stick with briquettes and wood and you are good to go.

3. I wish I could be more help here but I am doing my first brisket this weekend. As a matter of fact just ordered a whole packer from the butcher today and it should be in on Saturday...woo hoo. Having said that, I plan on injecting and letting marinade overnight, then smoke and check for temp of 160, when it gets there, I plan on wrapping with foil, mopping with my injection leftover, and finishing off on the rack. Wish me luck!

Anyway, welcome and I hope I was some help to you!

Pit Barrel Cooker
DCS Natural Gas Grill
Dual DCS Burners
Member FL BBQ Association
BayouFrogCake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
PCB