THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
After reading this thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166362

I wanted to test the GA at High Heat. Might as well cook supper while I'm at it. :razz:

Had a flatiorn steak seasoned with SM Peppered Cow:

24n1gyb.jpg

Set up the Maverick ET-732 grill temp probe with a couple of small pieces of pecan:

2laqweh.jpg

A little less than 1/2 chimney of coals and probe in place:

rwui5z.jpg

Maverick reading "HHH". The spec sheet said the high temp max alarm setting is 578*F. That was dead on. I'm guessing it was running at least 650*F when I put the steak on:

2ustvee.jpg

At the flip. It only took 4 mins:

2miw55.jpg

dgthcl.jpg

Another 4 mins off and resting. Pulled it at 142*F since the Wife wanted it a little more than rare this time:

2eb7pt0.jpg

Plated and ready:

2wf3itl.jpg

My conclusion is that I approached 700*F (even though I could only measure to 578*F) with Kingsford briquettes and it would go even hotter with lump based on a 8 min cook time for a cut of meat that size. I also closed all vents and still have enough left to do it again without adding new coal. This little rig should handle any HH demands I put on it with no problem.

Thanks for lookin'.

I used lump in mine and quickly figured out that it gets REALLY FARKING HOT!!!!! So that's it new name...."HOT!" Great looking steak. Not only does it get HOT! Close it down and its cool in 20 minutes. Great little grill IMHO

That looks fabulous!!! :clap: And gives me a reason to buy a WGA....Did you have to hold the top handle of the WGA with a hot pad?

I have a cheapie infrared thermometer that I use for such occasions, they work great. I'd be nervous using my maverick probe on something that hot!

That looks fabulous!!! :clap: And gives me a reason to buy a WGA....Did you have to hold the top handle of the WGA with a hot pad?

I have a cheapie infrared thermometer that I use for such occasions, they work great. I'd be nervous using my maverick probe on something that hot!

What Bluesman said. I grabbed the handle (only once :mad2: ) Had to use a mitt after that and to close all the vents. And yes, it cools off really quick. Going to use the same coals next time. I paid $75 for it with shipping. Next time I go camping, it's going too. :razz:

Check Amazon............$49.99 with free shipping

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-121020-Go-Anywhere-Charcoal-Grill/dp/B00004RALJ"]Amazon.com : Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Great plate and a nice reward in the name of BBQ Science. A thing special about the spuds? They look good too.

My Wife, LuzziAnn has been making them for years. Hand cut and as soon as they come out of the grease, Tonys is applied while they are still smokin' hot. Cooks the seasoning right in.

Now that I know it will get that hot, I will not be subjecting the Maverick probe to those high temps again. I got lucky, it still works fine.

Nice cook! I fried a maverick probe trying to see how hot I could get my weber a while back. You definitely lucked out. :clap:

those will get hot enough to melt the plastic handles. check some of phubars pics. i got one of mine that started to melt also. for sure heat is not an issue with the cga !
food looks great !

Maverick reading "HHH". The spec sheet said the high temp max alarm setting is 578*F.

Nice cook! I fried a maverick probe trying to see how hot I could get my weber a while back. You definitely lucked out. :clap:

Have you tried to use your Maverick since? You very well could have fried the probe...after mine started flashing HHH (in a low heat cook) I read the instructions for warranty purposes and the probe is only good up to 410 degrees unless you get the high heat probe which is only good to 570.

Might want to go plug the Maverick in and see if HHH is still flashing.

Back