MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
davefan360
Take a breath!

Default whole pig cook questions.

My dad would like a whole hog for his birthday in 6 weeks. I have a rf smoker that will hold a hog just fine. 120 gallon pit. How big should of a pig should I get. Looking to cook for 100 people. My buddy will be there to help and he has cooked a pig on a over the coals style pit and knows what to do. Just never cooked one rf. Main ? Is how large of a pig should I get. Also what time line cooking at 270 ish? Any other tips would be helpful thanks. Will also be grilling chicken some hot dogs and pit beans and some potato salad. Thanks

Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

A 100lb (live weight) pig will yeild ~40-50lbs of meat. Figure the big fellas will eat 3/4-1lb, most will eat 1/2lb or less. If you have a side or two or three those number will shift down a bit.

I cooked a 100lb pig on 4th of July along with red beans & rice and slaw. Fed ~70. With about 3lbs left over.
Damn True is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
davefan360
Take a breath!

Thanks. How long did you cook it? On what style of pit?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefan360 View Post
Thanks. How long did you cook it? On what style of pit?
I did it in a Caja China so from first match strike to serving happy guests was about 5hrs & 45min including resting the meat and breaking it down.

I've done a bit over a dozen Hawaiian style (in an Imu) Kalua Pig over the years as well. Orders of magnitude more work and they take 12-18hrs.
Damn True is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

For our Pig Out we have about 50 guests... I also do a similar cook for Rotary... 50 lb pig in the Caja Asadora and two Packer Briskets in the Backwoods... Always too much food with sides...Great time...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote