MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Default Backwoods help needed

Have a new Competitor and Guru, new to these smokers and Gurus. No matter what temp I try to cook at, the smoker runs high at 20-30 degrees over set temp. This happens with fan at 1/3 setting, other vent closed and exhaust vet barely open. Water level is fine, doors are as tight as possible, fuel is in a "S" pattern. Any suggestions?
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Next time you start your cooker, as soon as your cooker gets to your desired temp, open the firebox and slide out your coal tray. Check to see how many coals are lit.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
porkingINpublic
is one Smokin' Farker

What do u mean "fan at 1/3 setting". I have the exact set up and it will do 225* for 12+ hrs.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Don't Guru fans have a damper that can be opened and closed to a desired setting to allow for more or less air flow? That may be what he means by 1/3 setting.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

For me, I fill the basket up as much as possible! And I mean full! The Guru will determine the burn rate for the most part. I am under the impression that using the snake pattern is for when you do not have a Guru; that controls the burn rate.

The WiFi Guru will actually "learn" your smoker and the type fuel you are using and adjust itself so as not to overshoot or let the temp fall to low.

Is temp you are referring to what is shown on the Guru?

Also, my fan damper is wide open, opposite side vent closed, and top exhaust open about the width of my index finger.

When I first start it, I have the exhaust wide open till it gets about 200*. Then, I close it to finger width.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince RnQ View Post
Don't Guru fans have a damper that can be opened and closed to a desired setting to allow for more or less air flow? That may be what he means by 1/3 setting.
Yes, that's what I meant. The fan damper is 1/3 open.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Know Bull
On the road to being a farker

First, I LOVE my BBQ Guru on my Big Green Egg. Best money I ever spent on an accessory for a cooker.

I bought a used Backwoods Gater and an adapter plate for the Guru. I found it easier to regulate my heat on the Backwoods without the Guru rather than with it. Remember my cooker was used, and not nearly so air tight as a new one, and that may be a factor in my results.

I wrote a post to the Backwoods-Smoker forum titled "My How-To Guide" on my experience with Backwoods setup. Link here: http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/foru...php?f=4&t=8509

I am sure others disagree, just my opinion......

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

IMO, on a competitor, durring warm-up, the fan has to stay ON so long that it ignites far too many coals resulting in over-shot temps. Sometimes even though you are using a fuse or s-burn. Coals will still ignite on both sides of the metal.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Dan's spot on. Check out his method of starting his MJH. Competitor is virtually the same size
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
IMO, on a competitor, durring warm-up, the fan has to stay ON so long that it ignites far too many coals resulting in over-shot temps. Sometimes even though you are using a fuse or s-burn. Coals will still ignite on both sides of the metal.
I let it come up to temp before turning on the fan. Only coals burning are within the metal. I'm at a loss.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Another thing I learned, is to bring the unit up to temp slowly.. Get it up to 150, then 180, then 200, then 225-235 which is where I try to cook at.

I let the temp stabilize at each temp before climbing up.

I get about 8-9 hours cook time with. Full bracket of lump.

wallace

- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"

Old 07-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Bull View Post
First, I LOVE my BBQ Guru on my Big Green Egg. Best money I ever spent on an accessory for a cooker.

I bought a used Backwoods Gater and an adapter plate for the Guru. I found it easier to regulate my heat on the Backwoods without the Guru rather than with it. Remember my cooker was used, and not nearly so air tight as a new one, and that may be a factor in my results.

I wrote a post to the Backwoods-Smoker forum titled "My How-To Guide" on my experience with Backwoods setup. Link here: http://www.backwoods-smoker.com/foru...php?f=4&t=8509

I am sure others disagree, just my opinion......
While I might not agree with everything, this sure is a great write-up!

Thanks!

wallace

- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"

Old 07-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

start closing off the vents earlier as you get to temp? the underlying problem is your ending up with a fire bigger than you need to sustain your target temps.

are you getting air leaking through the non guru vent that you dont know about? Its pretty common to see bws with the non guru vent taped off to eliminate air leaks

cant rush insulated reverse flow verticals. far to efficient to just bleed off excessive heat
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

All good advice in this thread.

Waiting for the BWS to come up to temp just kills me!

One method that I gleaned from the BWS forum for starting was removing the heat deflector and filling the waterpan as the pit starts reaching your desired temp. I speed things up by preheating (and burning/cleaning off the cook grates) the cook chamber with my weed burner, replace the deflector, check the coal tray to see how much has fired off and set the Guru with the pit probe on the door thermo.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
Kit R
Full Fledged Farker

I will add my technique I use in my Extended Party and Fatboy. I fill the basket pretty full, about 10 lb. of charcoal and light an absolute minimum number of briquettes, about 10 in a chimney (yes I use briquettes and this isn't intended to be a discussion on briquettes vs. lump). Place them in a corner away from the fan and set the Guru for 150. I let the temp come up slowly to 150 and stabilize for 5-10 minutes, then I set to 180. Repeat for 210 and then set final temp. That seems to work pretty good for me. I run a 25CFM fan wide open and top vent open about two fingers. The down side is this can take awhile, but I have time at a comp so I take the time needed. I get a good solid overnight cook out of that technique.