The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
aHughJassDude
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default So Cal Eats! Legit or Not?

So I live in Southern California, San Diego area. Recently I started eating at a variety of barbecue places and so far I've only come across one or two places that seem to be close to "legit" barbecue. (Mind you I've never been to Texas or eating Q anywhere out of Cali) I've read so much about barbecue and I'm certain I know good brisket and ribs when I eat it now so I think I'm judging rightly when I say it's rare.

Would anyone say that there aren't ANY legit barbecue restaurants or food trucks in California?
aHughJassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

You might have to go a little north, but there are two members here that are doing Q in So Cal. Big Mista is doing Farmer's Markets and soon moving into a brick and mortar place. Ryan Chester opened Smoqued last year. I think both are in the LA area. If there is someone else I'm sure they will chime in.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aHughJassDude View Post
So I live in Southern California, San Diego area. Recently I started eating at a variety of barbecue places and so far I've only come across one or two places that seem to be close to "legit" barbecue. (Mind you I've never been to Texas or eating Q anywhere out of Cali) I've read so much about barbecue and I'm certain I know good brisket and ribs when I eat it now so I think I'm judging rightly when I say it's rare.

Would anyone say that there aren't ANY legit barbecue restaurants or food trucks in California?
Lemme know when you're in Orange County, and come be my Guest!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
SY82
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Bludso's in Compton.
SY82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Brazen BBQ is in the Hillcrest section of San Diego. The owners, John and Brad are competition cooks who have won a few events. Check out their FB page if you get a chance.
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Big Ace
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aHughJassDude View Post

So ... what are the one or two places have you tried that you consider legit?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

You have Phils, but it's not "LEGIT"
Your going to have travel north.
Don't know how far south Chris's Rancho A GO GO truck travels and...
Smokqued in Orange
Blakes Place in Anaheim

Chris, havent seen you at Bootleggers lately
Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Low SoCal (I'm a San Diego resident also) does not have any quality Q restaurants. There are a few that try hard for sure. For BBQ flavored food, try Phils Faux BBQ. Ask to see their smoker, they won't show you, its their secret. According to a rest supply guy I know that SOLD them their kitchen equip: They DON'T have a smoker or cook any of their meats low and slow, but instead roast their meats in "combi" (fancy expensive convection ovens) then burn them on a grill full of mesquite charcoal. Tastes like it too. All meat dishes are served covered/cloaked/hidden underneath a load of their liquid smoke induced "sauce".

One would think that with the YELP reviews they must be the holy grail of BBQ. Much like McDonald's serves the finest burgers in town (well, we DO have some fine burgers joints).
Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

+1 for Bludso, Rancho A Go Go, and Blake's. I haven't hit Smoqued Q or BigMista yet, but soon....

What about that place on Coronado Island? I didn't smell any smoke last time I was there, so I took a pass.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
What about that place on Coronado Island? I didn't smell any smoke last time I was there, so I took a pass.
I was just on Coronado Island, walked right by the place too. If my nose doesn't "see it", then it's ain't BBQ!

Opted for Sushi at Saiko Sushi on Orange Ave (quite good too).
Old 07-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Smokeat
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbchip View Post
Low SoCal (I'm a San Diego resident also) does not have any quality Q restaurants. There are a few that try hard for sure. For BBQ flavored food, try Phils Faux BBQ. Ask to see their smoker, they won't show you, its their secret. According to a rest supply guy I know that SOLD them their kitchen equip: They DON'T have a smoker or cook any of their meats low and slow, but instead roast their meats in "combi" (fancy expensive convection ovens) then burn them on a grill full of mesquite charcoal. Tastes like it too. All meat dishes are served covered/cloaked/hidden underneath a load of their liquid smoke induced "sauce".

One would think that with the YELP reviews they must be the holy grail of BBQ. Much like McDonald's serves the finest burgers in town (well, we DO have some fine burgers joints).
Hell to the yeah, you have fine burgers! See you at Nessy's!
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can vouch for Bludso's and Big Mista in the L.A. area. Really great stuff at both those places. There'a also a place I like called Pecos Bill's in Burbank, but it's not a "drive for a long time to get it" kinda place - more like a "pretty dang good for close to work and cheap" kinda place (by all means ask for the sauce on the side). There are some other places around here that I have yet to check out.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

You could try Lucilles smokehouse.
They have one in Temecula.
They make great beef ribs.
I have never had bad food at lucilles even tho it is a chain restaurant.

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner!
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky!
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbchip View Post
I was just on Coronado Island, walked right by the place too. If my nose doesn't "see it", then it's ain't BBQ!
That is so true, I live by this as well. Goes for any restaurant, not just 'que.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #15
rw02kr43
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cali

We went to baby blues bbq in Santa Monica. We loved it. The suicide kings were great.

Jason
rw02kr43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food trucks, legitimate barbecue, restaurants