The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
TalonBrew
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Extreme disappointment

So I had today off and wanted to get a little smoking in. Got a brisket and nice rack of beef short ribs.

First half of the day went great, and the ribs came off for a late lunch and were excellent. But a little later, a slight storm moved through. Not much rain (typical Colorado) but a lot of wind. So now the wind is swirling at about 20-25 mph and I cannot keep the pit over 150. I've tried a bigger fire, thinking that more draw would help. I've tried putting plywood around it to act as a wind break. But since the wind is swirling, there is no prevailing direction. I got it up to 250 for a minute or two, then a gust came by and blew the smoke out the intake and killed the fire (Jambo backyard, btw).

I'm finishing the brisket in the oven (which really chaps my ass), but if I'm going to barbecue in Colorado, I have GOT to be able to do it in the wind. This place is as bad as west Texas.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Brisket:

Ribs:

Smoke coming out the door (It was worse than the picture made it seem):

Unread 07-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Toast
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

What's your altitude there? Lower Oxygen to the fire perhaps? Normally, wind would stoke the fuel even though it may cause the cooker to loose heat.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Maverick ET-732, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen
The Fun Never Stops at the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns
2013 Throwdown Grand Master. 1/2 of Team Paradise.

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
TalonBrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
What's your altitude there? Lower Oxygen to the fire perhaps? Normally, wind would stoke the fuel even though it may cause the cooker to loose heat.
6,000 feet. It actually acted like it was smothering. I think that had to do with the back-flow, because the fire would go out, then I'd get a nasty smoke. I'd crack the firebox door and that'd get a fire going again, but when I'd close it, it wouldn't last.

Unread 07-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

If I remember right a Jambo has an insulated firebox; I don't know what else you could do about a windy day. IMO, there ain't nothing wrong with finishing in the oven, especially if you were able to get 3-4 hours of smoke on the brisket. Just wrap in BP and go until probe tender. Those are some pretty killer looking beef ribs!
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

It sure looks good.

You could try sealing the crack there, but, since low temperatures were your problem, that wasn't the issue. Wonder if putting a welders blanket over the fire chamber or cooking chamber would help.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it is backflow, maybe you can put a baffle on the stack, something to prevent the wind from blowing in. Something like a rain cap for a wood stove. Those block wind and rain from blowing down the stack

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Mo-Dave
Babbling Farker

You need to get a dryer vent hose and place it over your exhaust and direct it so the wind does not give you blow back, it may need to be moved a couple times or more to keep wind from blowing down it. I have seen larger smokers with exhaust that have L shaped ends that can be turned away from the wind. I see feeders out in fields that are made to turn on their own away from the wind by the force of the wind itself. the Plywood box with hinges so it can be folded when not in use is another option, or move your fire box away from the wind. You may may even want an enclosed tent with the drier vent venting to the outside, have seen that done at contest many times. I lived in Wyo, and SD so I know about this wind of which you speak.
Dave
Bbq toolbox, formerly Chargrill smoker
My wife has gas, its a Brinkman.
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Turn the firebox to the wind or 90 deg to it.

Unread 07-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
TalonBrew

Thanks guys. I appreciate your suggestions.

Bludawg, I was trying something like that for awhile, but it was swirling so bad, one minute it'd be from the west, the other the east. Being close to the house could have actually made things worse tho.

I've got some dryer vent.... that thought never occurred to me. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it.

Landarc, the crack in the firebox door is only there when it's warm. It's totally flush when it's cool. I was thinking about some sort of sealer, but I had two friends tell me not to worry about it, so I've been trying not to.

Thanks for all the responses. And thanks to dwfisk... I was feeling like finishing in the oven was a badge of failure.

Unread 07-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
Unfathomable Bastid

This may be an expensive alternative for you, but it'll be failsafe. You should consider investing in the DigiQ DX2 (BBQ Guru) which, aside from being a highly accurate temp regulator, prevents any air (wind) from getting into the cooker beyond what its fan allows. You'd be in for roughly $280 for the DigiQ, the fan, and temp probes.

Hope this helps!!!

-Bastid
Weber Genesis E-310 - Gas
Weber Smokey Joe (A RED one!)
Unfathomable Bastid is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

I've seen many people run pits like that with the fire box door open a few inches, then control temps by the amount of splits they put in.

I know this doesn't solve the wind issue, but heck it should help with keeping a clean burning fire. Some sort of protective hood on the exhaust sounds like a good idea.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
Murray in N.Z.

Living in N.Z. cold gusty wind is a constant problem .... But I use a very U UDS and wrap it with building insulation, the sort with alfoil on both sides and fibreglass fluffy stuff in the middle. With a little hole for the air inlet tap and it coming up the sides and level with the top of the lid I havnt had a problem. Cooked in all sorts of gails n rain storms... it just keep on puffing magic smoke out.
Of course it means building a UDS but hey, every one needs one dont they?

Muzza in Perth W.A. for a bit.
Murray in N.Z. is online now   Reply With Quote