喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
ique
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

paraphrasing.. I haven't done the competition thing but I sure have a lot of opinions about it...
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
cameraman
Babbling Farker

I don't think there's anything in that article that folks haven't been saying around here for years, but in a less judgmental way. I've seen it said time and again that comp q has nothing to do with backyard q because in most cases it's created for a perceived judges palate. Hell, even when you watch the tv comps you'll hear people talking about modding their recipes to cater to the locals' taste.

The pioneering modern photographer Alfred Stieglitz envied the amateur artist because he could pursue his vision without concern for the critics. A great jazz trumpeter I know said once that some of the finest musicians he knew were doctors. So it is in q I guess.
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Butts View Post
Good read, but I would have to disagree. Barbecue by my definition is unique to the individual. There is no "right" or "wrong" no "this way" or "that way". If you like it do it, if you don't, don't. It is common knowledge that competition bbq is a totally different beast than your backyard stuff. That said, most go into it with that mindset and I know of several whose "backyard" bbq with friends is nothing like that same person's "competition" bbq. Some people just enjoy the thrill of the competition and the fellowship. So for these guys to say that competition is ruining "real bbq", whether or not they mean to, they are the ones that are really hurting it. BBQ is good food, good friends, and good times. If all of those are there, then who cares how it happens.

Ok, done with my vent now. Hope everyone has a great day.
Well said sir...

Unread 07-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Because teams cook in a wider area than just their backyard, and because judges travel beyond their backyard to judge, the "flavor profile" of competition barbecue meats has leaned toward the middle without anything specific "standing out". That gives the team a better shot at pleasing a larger percentage of judges.

Q-joint cooks are cooking for their specific locale and wouldn't last very long cooking their specific flavors in other parts of the land.

I.E., comparing restaurant barbecue to competition barbecue is just rediculous!
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
gettinbasted
Full Fledged Farker

That is hilarious! A bunch of restaurant owners dogging on competition cooks for taking "shortcuts" and bastardizing bbq! I can promise that my competition turn ins are far closer to "real" bbq than the pasty gray crap you find in 99.9 percent of bbq restaurants!

Unread 07-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #21
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Very interesting. I know Carey and Pat personally....live around the corner from Martin's. I don't think they were right on everything, but they hit a few high notes.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
A bunch of restaurant owners dogging on competition cooks for taking "shortcuts" and bastardizing bbq! I can promise that my competition turn ins are far closer to "real" bbq than the pasty gray crap you find in 99.9 percent of bbq restaurants!
I think that before you start bad-mouthing these "restaurant owners," you should eat at their establishments and know the quality that they deliver and the pride that they take in it.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
gettinbasted
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
I think that before you start bad-mouthing these "restaurant owners," you should eat at their establishments and know the quality that they deliver and the pride that they take in it.

dmp
I don't believe they extended me the same courtesy!

Unread 07-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #24
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post

dmp
Beat me to that one. Martin's puts out a damn fine rack.
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #25
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
From the article:

The stuff that you got at Memphis in May, you know, 25 years ago was very different barbecue than you’ve got now.
And what today is the same as it was 25 years ago?

Some people just don't like change, and it doesn't matter whether it really is better or worse.

Not really a surprising perspective. It is simply one article interviewing like minded people.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #26
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

IMHO Competition Q, Restaurant Q and Backyard Q are very different creatures.

In competition the goal is all about the single bite – in a restaurant you look for the meal and venue to create the experience and in the backyard – well that is about family and friends as much as the Q.

I really don’t see how you can fairly compare them.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #27
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Pat Martin doesn't understand wrapping. Cooks are infusing flavor, and managing appearance and tenderness. The speed of the cook is not a concern.

I am not sure how they can claim "everything is the same" and "some of it is inedible" in the same article. Which is it?

KCBS isn't driving anyone to a taste profile. They set goals for tenderness, but not taste. Competition cooks gravitate to what wins. Salt and pepper on a brisket isn't going to cut it.

Quite frankly, it comes across as a bunch of old geezers whining about the good old days. I can also picture them talking about cars ("With all these computers, you can't fix it yourself. It's not a real car! Sure, it's more reliable, fuel efficient, and performs better, but these young guys just drive their cars and don't understand the joys of spending a weekend doing a tune up in your driveway.")
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #28
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

These guys have to wake up and realize that the Good Ole Days are right now. All cuisines evolve including BBQ. You have to learn to evolve or get stuck in the dark ages.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #29
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

I am still having a hard time getting past the fact that these guys get paid every day to put out BBQ, but it's easier to lay back and badmouth the hobbyist who drops nearly $1000 to compete on the occasional weekend than it is to give some honest thought as to why a different type of BBQ is what wins.
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- The Great Vegas Gridiron Grill-Off, Las Vegas, NV 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Earlier this year I competed out in California and we were having a very similar discussion. I think there has been a centering or homogenization of what the general public considers to be good Barbeque which we as competitors may be contributing to. I know a lot of cooks that travel and compete all over and the vast majority of them don't change anything as they travel from place to place.

I also see this as larger trend throughout society and we are just one part of it. Take a look around next time you get off the exit on an Interstate, it's often hard to tell where you are until you look at license plates. Our society by and large likes the homogenous. Somebody explained it to me recently at a contest by saying " a Big Mac tastes like a Big Mac wherever you go". Lots of people find comfort in this and that is where a large portion of not only the judges come from but also competitors. It's only natural that the competition circuit will find its way towards that center as it grows in popularity.

So while I understand the gripes these gentlemen in the interview have, they might want to look around before they throw stones. I'm willing to bet when they watch the Titans game, they do their fair share of eating Domino's pizza and drinking Coors Light or something else that many of us don't consider to be pizza or beer.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote