The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
MarshallCountyMS
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default New to the forum smoker question

I am new to the forum and I have a quick question about smokers. I am without right now and would like to get back into it if possible (for somewhat cheap). I will be cooking on it weekly probably but rarely in very large amounts. Tell me if I am missing anything.

I have a O.K. Joe upright smoker but the firebox is rusted out in places. I could fix it (I have a welder) but im worried about dumping more money into this smoker as it was never super reliable for me.

I considered the char griller kamado acorn when they went on sale at kroger this week, and I didnt make it in time in my truck, and they sold out. Not sure if these are worth it for the full $300?

I looked at the vision classic kamado's but cant find any but I can't find any costco sales on them right now so thats a little high on budget.

And finally I have come full circle around to the idea of a UDS. We have drumco here local and I can get my hands on a nice drum for cheap, and I can weld, etc.... Plus I would love to have something I built as my Ice Chest Stereo is my current prize possession....

I have been back and forth alot, but I would really like to get back to being able to do some long smokes soon. Im sure its safe to say everyone on this forum is probably more knowledgeable than I am, so It would be great if some of y'all could throw your 2 cents in..

Thanks in advance!
MarshallCountyMS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
RemoGaggi
Knows what a fatty is.

I have both a UDS and Akorn. They are both good units, but also different. For pure smoking only (no grilling), make yourself a UDS. It's easy to make and cheap and it will give you good performance. I've always found the Akorn to have capacity issues - just doesn't hold much food, or at least compared to a UDS. However, the Akorn will let you grill and you can even do some high heat grilling.

As far as the OK Joe, there's a thread here on how to fix and modify it. I know that smoker has a big following as well. I'm sure others can tell you more about and they'll probably tell you to fix that one first, especially if you have the capability to weld.

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
FromthePitBBQ
On the road to being a farker

If you want an inexpensive smoker (or optional grill when additional racks are added to the lower portion) your answer lies in a UDS. Check out the UDS thread - aka "the mother of all UDS threads"

Or spend $399 and go for a 22.5" WSM.

Welcome back to smoking.

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
MarshallCountyMS

I can make the UDS so cheap I was kind of leaning that way. The OK joe is probably 10-12 years old or older and just doesnt imo seem to have the airflow control but I could be off on that. I have a charcoal and gas standard grill so when it comes to steaks etc im covered for the time being for grilling purposes

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

I say UDS because you're on a budget, you can weld, etc and you can get a nice drum.

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
MarshallCountyMS

Everyone seems to be confirming what I was thinking. At least it will give me another build to go along with my radio cooler

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

Oh by the way, welcome aboard!

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCountyMS View Post
Everyone seems to be confirming what I was thinking. At least it will give me another build to go along with my radio cooler
What's this radio cooler you speak of? Got any pics you can share?

Unread 07-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #9
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I think you answered your own question, if not, UDS. Put in two grates and make a grill option(so you can raise the basket for direct grilling) and have a diffuser option as well. That should cover most smoking needs.

Unread 07-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
MarshallCountyMS

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Unread 07-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #11
loco_engr
Full Fledged Farker

Schweeet!

Unread 07-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Welcome to the forum. A new tool (UDS or whatever) is always cool but I would keep that OK Joe. I think even those new to the forum can use the search tool at the bottom of the page. Spend a little time searching for mods & restorations. A lot of folks here make some amazing Q with them.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
smokinrack

I have an Akorn I use more than any of my other smokers now.They are great at what they do and I love mine.But as someone else said they dont hold much.Im considering making a UDS myself to go along with my Akorn mainly because Ive been entering a lot of smaller competitions this year and need the extra cooking space without having to haul around my 275 gallon smoker.I think it depends on how much you want to cook and how you want to cook it
smokinrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
Tsevg9

UDS is simple, cheap and works great. I was in the same boat as you. Wanted to get into smoking, but didn't have much cash and knew that I wasn't going to be cooking THAT much ever.

I spent about $75 on parts for my UDS and the thing is super consistent. I can hold steady temps for hours and hours.

Good luck, and welcome!

Unread 07-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Build a UDS and repair the Joe. The more weapons, the better.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, Weber kettle, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my Fire pit, Big Pig Cooker, SJS.

"Nice talkin' to ya"
Garyclaw is online now   Reply With Quote