The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
triplezip
Got Wood.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Practice box feedback needed

Hi Brethren,

The wife and I practicing for our first comp in August (Sam's, Medford LI), and could really use some constructive feedback. We're practicing each of the four categories separately, then doing a full four-category practice run outdoors before the comp. Below are some pics of the two pork turn-in boxes we did yesterday. Any thoughts on the presentation would be greatly appreciated... Also, any tips (especially from those who compete in the northeast) as to what judges look for taste-wise for pork would be great. Thanks guys!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pork2PP.jpg (80.4 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg Pork1.MM.jpg (81.3 KB, 206 views)

Eastern Beast BBQ Team
Backwoods Competitor
Twin black UDS's
Winco CO-301
triplezip is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0

I like the second box. I would score it an 8 or 9. Try to get rid of the two dark spots on the first slice of money muscle. The garnish is better in the first box (but we don't score garnish, right?).
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Qbert60
On the road to being a farker

Here is what I see and what I would do differently. I am a fairly new team ^6 comps under my belt), but I have learned a lot in that time.

First box:
- Clean up the garnish a little. Try to make it even with the lip of the box.
- Don't be afraid to add some sauce. Looks dry. Could be the picture though.
- I wouldn't bury the chunks of bark in the parsley bed.
- Pulled looks yummy, but all over the place. Try to make it look even and not thrown in the box.

Second Box
- Parsley looks better. Try not show an stems. (Bottom left & right hand corner)
- Bark looks amazing!
- Add some sauce.
- Money muscle needs to be even across the box. The tops should line up nicely from top to bottom of the box.
- Remove the dark marks on first sliced piece.

Overall, I would go with Box#2. Make sure whatever you put in the box is spot on. The more you put in there, the more that you can be judged on. Good luck!

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

not bad at all. my two cents...

sauce the meat.
take the nice chunks from box one and replace the pulled in box two with them.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
scm1226
Take a breath!

Garnish looks a bit messy. But heck what do I know. We always try to tighten up the parsley when we use it.
As for the flavor profile, if I knew I wouldn't tell you, but I don't know.Still looking ourselves.
Good Luck at the Sams club- That's a tough event for your first one.
You should hit up BofBB a couple weeks before for a LIVE practice.
Good Luck!!
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

5 maybe a 6. Both boxes need work, box 2 is better but still average at best. I would suggest doing a search either here or on BBQ Critic, finding examples you like and compare the pictures side by side

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
triplezip
Got Wood.

Thanks everyone for the observations and advice so far.. We'll be putting it to good use. I appreciate you taking the time to write back!

Eastern Beast BBQ Team
Backwoods Competitor
Twin black UDS's
Winco CO-301

Unread 07-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Ron_L

I agree that the meat in box 2 looks better. It still needs a little sauce (light) or a spritz of hot water or AJ right when you close the box to give it some shine.

Also, it looks like the third slice from the front has a chunk of fat on the top right. I would choose a different slice if possible.

Finally. Garnish. It is sloppy (sorry) and covering up the meat. Try to make a flat base of parsley to hold the meat up in the box and make a frame around the meat without detracting from it. Think of the same meat with a messy border vs. the same meat with a nice, even border. Which looks more appealing? Yeah, the garnish isn't judged directly, but it can indirectly affect your scores. We were involved in a three-way tie for first place ribs that past weekend. It's possible that the garnish in someone's box being a little better could have added in enough t break that tie.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
triplezip
Got Wood.

Thanks, Captain Ron... Tightening up that garnish is at the top of our list for improvements. Will try for the "putting green" look on the next one.

Eastern Beast BBQ Team
Backwoods Competitor
Twin black UDS's
Winco CO-301

Unread 07-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
bbq.tom
is one Smokin' Farker

Top box looks jumbled without too much thought given to the pile of pulled. I like the frame of bark, but it isn’t even all the way around. Would probably get a 6 from me.
Bottom box looks better, but I’m not crazy about how dry the slices and pulled looks. Also, the bark laying on the top of the pulled is distracting and hurts your presentation. Looks like a 6-7 (meaning 7 as I round up in favor of the cook team).
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote