The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
RemoGaggi
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cooking Rib Tips - Question

I trimmed 3 racks this morning St. Louis style. This left me with the rib tips from each rack. I have not cut them into pieces yet.

It seems to me that since the rib tips are not uniform in thickness - one end is flap meat and the other end is bone/cartilage, that it won't cook evenly if I left it all as one piece.

I'm wondering how most of you cook the tips. Do you cut them into pieces or leave it the length of the rack and then cut it later?

Does anyone have a master technique for rib tips they can share with me?

Thanks!

Unread 07-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
oldbill
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0

I usually cook them along with the ribs and graze on them while the ribs are finishing since they're normally done earlier. I also like to cut them up and put them in my beans. But I just cook them the same way that I do the ribs primarily.

Unread 07-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I just throw them on and cook until tender. They are either snacks or the meat goes into beans.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I just throw them on and cook until tender. They are either snacks or the meat goes into beans.
^Yep. Depends on just how thick they are, but I'll hit them with 1 to 1-1/2 hours on the smoker until they start to loosen up, then put in a foil pan with 50/50 favorite sauce & apple juice, sprinkle with rub, cover and braise in the smoker for another hour or so. My boys like them better than the ribs!
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.