Daytona Q today

noles2g

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all, having a few buddy's over for the race I'm going to do a rack of spares some quarters my first ABTS, and some Mac n cheese. I am curious to see What smoke wood combo would you all would go with for a cook like this?
I usually use cherry and oak chunks and recently have been adding hickory into the mix on my WSM.

I use kiln dried hickory almost exclusively in my RF stickburner, but it does take a small hot fire to get clean smoke.

Thanks Dave. I'm really digging hickory the last few weeks since i got some seasoned. I'm going to try a majority hickory cook for today.

Maybe some of the WSM guys can chime in, but I'm just wondering if starting with lump will give you a little better base of coals and a little hotter, to keep the seasoned hickory burning clean.
Thanks Dave. I'm really digging hickory the last few weeks since i got some seasoned. I'm going to try a majority hickory cook for today.

Maybe some of the WSM guys can chime in, but I'm just wondering if starting with lump will give you a little better base of coals and a little hotter, to keep the seasoned hickory burning clean.

I had not even thought about that! I usually use K or Stubbs and minion to start for my cooks in the WSM and lump in the kettle. I don't know why but I always felt better about my ability to control lump heat in the OTG. I actually didn't notice hickory burning less of the clean smoke last week in the WSM. But I will look now.

Back