The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
jsperk
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Eye round/pizza

Made some pizza Friday. Not many pics of the pies. Got a late start and it was 9:00 p.m. when we were eating dinner.

Also I was worried about eye round. I read its tough and not much flavor.

I was real happy with eye round. Cooked on the rotisserie, rubbed with black ops rub. Added some onions, mushrooms and cheese and some mayo, with a pickled egg on the side.

One other note. I got a new slicer. Our friends son is selling Cutco knives. I had no intentions of buying one but my wife said I should get the slicer.

I was worried I read good reviews and some bad ones. I always used cheap knives not very sharp. I could not believe the difference using this. I may have over paid in my opinion for a knife but I couldn't be happy with it. So the price is easier to take since I like it a lot.

Sorry for the pics. My lighting stinks in the kitchen. If I try no flash it's not great, if I use flash sometimes it makes it to bright. You can see a difference from the same two pics and I wasn't happy with either.

jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yep, I'd hit all of that. Flash or not.

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
BobM
Babbling Farker

Nice looking cook!
| Maverick ET-732 |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
legendaryhog
Full Fledged Farker

Ok, this is probably a dumb question, but why is that picked egg so purple? Is it just the light? Is this something that is different and also delicious from other pickled eggs???

Seriously...i'm kinda a sucker for good pickled eggs...especially if they have been pickled in brine that was previously used for jalapeno pickling and are nice and spicy.

Unread 07-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
jsperk
is one Smokin' Farker

That's the real color. I never had any other kind of pickled egg. Jalapeno one sounds good.
These are soaked in beets and beet juice and vinegar and sugar. I'm not sure of the exact recipe, my mom always makes me a batch when she does them.
I should find out she makes them so I can make them when ever I want. They are awesome.

Unread 07-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
fantomlord
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsperk View Post
That's the real color. I never had any other kind of pickled egg. Jalapeno one sounds good.
These are soaked in beets and beet juice and vinegar and sugar. I'm not sure of the exact recipe, my mom always makes me a batch when she does them.
I should find out she makes them so I can make them when ever I want. They are awesome.
...and that's why it's purple

Unread 07-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
legendaryhog
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsperk View Post
Can you taste the beet? I'm not a huge beet fan, but my mother always makes pickled beets. I actually hate them. I have a jar of them in my fridge right now that has never been opened, I just have it in there so when she visits she does not supply me with another jar (that I will not eat, but cannot refuse). I literally could just take out the beets and put boiled eggs in the brine instead. Good idea?

Also, if you like spicy...do the jalapeno eggs. They are awesome. Fill up a jar with sliced jalapenos, put in half vinegar and half water until the jar is full. Pinch of salt and pinch of sugar. Let that set for a week, then transfer jap's to another jar with the same, reserve the original brine and fill it with eggs. Awesome with a good beer.

Unread 07-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
jsperk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryhog View Post
Can you taste the beet? I'm not a huge beet fan, but my mother always makes pickled beets. I actually hate them. I have a jar of them in my fridge right now that has never been opened, I just have it in there so when she visits she does not supply me with another jar (that I will not eat, but cannot refuse). I literally could just take out the beets and put boiled eggs in the brine instead. Good idea?

Also, if you like spicy...do the jalapeno eggs. They are awesome. Fill up a jar with sliced jalapenos, put in half vinegar and half water until the jar is full. Pinch of salt and pinch of sugar. Let that set for a week, then transfer jap's to another jar with the same, reserve the original brine and fill it with eggs. Awesome with a good beer.
I will have to try some jalapeno ones.

More vinegar taste. I wont eat the beets in the jar with them. My wife will eat those. If you like I can get a recipe. At least the ingredients used. My parents never use recipes, they just throw stuff in and always comes out great.

Unread 07-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
jsperk
is one Smokin' Farker

I think the hard boild eggs get boiled a with the beet juice and she pokes small holes in the hard boiled eggs, after they boil a bit they get jarred and in the fridge. Best if they sit a couple days.
Here is a recipe that seems like it would be the same.
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/ap...kled-eggs.html

Unread 07-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Sizzler1322
Knows what a fatty is.

Now that's a pizza!!