The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Homebrewed Q
Take a breath!

Default Need to find a new barrel pit in Dallas

Reaching out to the brethren. My brother lives in Richardson, Tx (Dallas) and is looking for a new barrel bbq pit. He doesn't want to build anything, just buy a standard sideways 55 gallon barrel pit. Does anyone know of a retailer in the area that sells them?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewed Q View Post
Reaching out to the brethren. My brother lives in Richardson, Tx (Dallas) and is looking for a new barrel bbq pit. He doesn't want to build anything, just buy a standard sideways 55 gallon barrel pit. Does anyone know of a retailer in the area that sells them?
I don't know of any builders, but would like to add a note of caution. Most barrel pit builders that I have seen on Craigslist don't bother to remove the liner. Finding a reputable builder may not be easy.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

HEB here in Austin area sells barrel pits for around $80? I've checked them out, and they are pretty flimsy. Might check craigslist, but as mentioned above, make sure the liner is removed. The ones at HEB definitely don't have a liner.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Here's a UDS
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/for/3896504538.html

This would be cool too
http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/for/3845298867.html
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Homebrewed Q
Take a breath!

Thanks guys, he is looking for the sideways old style 55 gal barrel pit. There aren't any HEB's close enough to him, and apparently the Academy's up there don't sell them either. I've had other suggestions for possibly Albertson's or perhaps a Mexican grocery, but he hasn't found one yet.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Bludawg

HEB has 'em.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Homebrewed Q
Take a breath!

No HEB's in his area, only in Waxahachie and Ennis and he is trying to find something closer to Richardson, TX.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Bacon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post

Here is my thread from this past sunday of this build. The guy that makes them is Chris Riley. His father helps him and they lives west of Round Rock. Me and a Buddy of mine made the trip down last saturday and grabbed a couple of UDS's. I live in Lewisville Tx.

He has four colors to choose from and also does custom colors as well. They are Burnt Orange, Black, Maroon, and Red. The trip is about 3:30 hours down but it is worth it. Price is $299 + tax..

I know this is not the sideways barrel but the UDS is a smoking machine. Holds temp great and I am throwing 2 BBQ parties in the next two weeks starting saturday.

22.5" Weber OTG
Kenmore gasser
1 Super-Fast Sunkist Orange Thermapen
Hungry Apt neighbors
Certified MOINK Baller

"Anything wrapped in Bacon has to beat not wrapped in Bacon!" - Desert Dweller / circa ~ 09-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
caseydog

They are all over the North Dallas burbs. Mostly junk. Almost all junk.

A sideways 55-gallon drum is more of a grill than a BBQ pit, unless it has a side box. And there are a lot of both available, and most of both are junk that won't last long. I've seen them at Kroger. I have yet to see one I would buy.

What, exactly does he want to do with it? What is the end result he is looking for? How much does he plan to use it? How much time and effort does he want to put into cooking BBQ?

I'd rather help your bro find something that fits his needs -- that he will use regularly for years. There are several brethren near Richardson, including me, who can hook him up, but I know I don't want to help him spend his money on the wrong cooker for him.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

I have an extra 55 gallon drum that I would give to someone just so they wouldn't make a sidewise grill haha!