The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
MJ_Tenn
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Store bought rubs...how salty?

I usually make my own rub and am reading about how good "Plowboys" rubs are...when I use my homemade rubs, I totally cover the meat, every crack and crevice. When using a rub such as Plowboys, is it good to totally cover the meat or is it more of a seasoning that should be sprinkled on?

Unread 07-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's all personal preference.
I don't use much salt normally so I sometimes find Yardbird a little salty - but for the most part I only use it on things I would use salt on.. chicken, eggs, potatoes, popcorn.
I typically go easy on any rub I use - just enough to cover the meat, let it sweat out a little, then a little more before it hits the pit.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al

Unread 07-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

If you don't like salt and the first ingredient is salt than it has a bunch of salt. The ingredient label goes by the amount inside.
Smokin' Bucky UDS
Weber Q100, Weber Q200
1983 WGA Early 70's Red Weber Statesman
1995 Red Weber Master Touch
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Smokin'Butts
Full Fledged Farker

I personally find Plowboys to be too salty for my taste, but that said TONS of people love it. It is all personal preference. Try a little first and then next but add some more, or cut the butt in half and do a sprinkle on one and coat the other. Cook and compare

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_Tenn View Post
I usually make my own rub and am reading about how good "Plowboys" rubs are...when I use my homemade rubs, I totally cover the meat, every crack and crevice. When using a rub such as Plowboys, is it good to totally cover the meat or is it more of a seasoning that should be sprinkled on?
I too, like to dredge or heavily coat my meats including ribs with the rub.

However I too find that the use of "Plowboys" is much too salty for my personal tastes. I am not saying it is a bad rub, just that it is too salty for the tastes of myself and the people I cook for.

You might try Simply Marvelous Rubs or OakRidge Rubs, Both sold by Big Poppa Smokers

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Kathy's Smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

If I use a commercially prepared rub/spice mix that has salt I cut it by about 40 to 60 % with dry spices that have no salt. I typically used dried onion, ginger and garlic. There is one made by a brother that has no added salt -- it has dirt in the name I think. Deguerre would know which one it is.

Edit: Todds Dirt -- if you search with that you'll find threads and postings about it.
Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about!
I got a ZERO for the best back bacon I've ever tasted!

Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.

Hi!

Last edited by Kathy's Smokin'; 07-02-2013 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: added more info
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Hcs
Knows what a fatty is.

I use kc butt spice first ingreidient sugar!

Unread 07-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
aawa
Babbling Farker

Plowboys Yardbird is salty. On pork butts it is ok to coat it liberally as the huge piece of meat can handle the high salt content. You don't want to liberally coat ribs or chicken in the yardbird or they will be rendered inedible because they are so salty. Now if you use it moderately to sparingly on ribs/chicken it is fantastic.

Unread 07-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
NorthernMN
On the road to being a farker

For chicken plowboys can be a little salty but we just give it a lighter coat. For pork butt we put on pretty heavy and it has come out good.
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If your putting on more that you would use salt & pepper at the table your using to much. I'ts about the meat not the stuff in the bottle. Might just as will dump it in a bowl and break out a spoon... Oh and don't forget to make it in to a paste with a bottle of Sauce. Mmmm.

Less is more