The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
sic.semper.pork
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First major smoke! Need suggestions!

So my girlfriends parents want me to do some cooking for a 4th of July party they are having. It will be around 10 or so people attending. For me, this is a lot. They are providing hot dogs, burgers, and sides. I am thinking of smoking about an 7-8 lb. pork shoulder on my UDS. Any suggestions for wood?? I have used mesquite before on a shoulder and thought it was good. I am thinking apple though this time. Oh, this is only my second shoulder I will have ever cooked. I typically stick to ribs and chicken since I am still learning. The first shoulder came out fantastic though and had great reviews from friends, so I am confident in my abilities. I just want to make this some of the best pork they will ever eat. Thanks for any help!
sic.semper.pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
sic.semper.pork
Got Wood.

Also, It will be cooked on the 3rd. Whats the best way to reheat it on the 4th?

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Bdub
Knows what a fatty is.

For pork I like a combination of hickory and apple.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
BBQfirefighter148
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
For pork I like a combination of hickory and apple.
i agree with his choice of wood. As for cooking a day early i would start the cook some time early in the am (depending on what time you plan on eating). I did pork butts for my GF now wifes family too and stayed over their house and started around 3am for a late lunch early dinner time
BBQfirefighter148 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
J&B'sBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

We use pecan and cherry (but we're in the south and can get pecan). The cherry puts a really nice color onto pork and a nice flavor. I can't really comment on the reheating part as we like to cook day of for others and only reheat (microwave) for our own consumption. Whatever temperature you find is correct, I would save the juices from the cook to use in the pan while reheating so it doesn't dry out.
J&B'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think a pork butt would be great - feeds plenty and is really forgiving. I like cherry on pork. If you have to cook it the day before, I would leave it whole when done, then toss in the oven for a couple hours the day of and pull.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
sic.semper.pork
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMAJ View Post
I think a pork butt would be great - feeds plenty and is really forgiving. I like cherry on pork. If you have to cook it the day before, I would leave it whole when done, then toss in the oven for a couple hours the day of and pull.
I think it would be easiest to cook the day before. That was something I was contemplating. Pull after a 2 hour rest, or just wait till the day of. Think I ought to wait. Also never thought to go with cherry and I think I am going to try that. What do you think of a cherry and hickory combo?

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
frognot
Babbling Farker

If you cook the day before, add some apple or pineapple juice when reheating.

Retired: NB Bandera (2003-2009) that introduced me to y'all crazy farkers

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it."
deguerre

Thanks to N8man & NorthwestBBQ for the custom avatars!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") "Hang in there Dan Chambers!"
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I would try to cook it so it is done 3-4 hours before serving. That gives you a buffer in case you get a stubborn butt and time for a rest before serving.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
caseydog

Downloads: 1

Pork butt (shoulder) is a great choice if you have to cook for people and you are nervous about it. It is very forgiving, and it does reheat better than most meats, IMO.

If you cook it a day in advance, and the finished product is pulled pork, I would cook it to probe tender, wrap it and rest it for at least an hour, and pull it while it is still fairly hot. Then you can wrap it and put it in the fridge. A disposable aluminum pan and some foil on the top will work. You can use your oven to slowly reheat it in the same pan and foil.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
LMAJ

I like cherry and hickory - easy on the hickory.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al

Unread 07-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
sic.semper.pork
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Pork butt (shoulder) is a great choice if you have to cook for people and you are nervous about it. It is very forgiving, and it does reheat better than most meats, IMO.

If you cook it a day in advance, and the finished product is pulled pork, I would cook it to probe tender, wrap it and rest it for at least an hour, and pull it while it is still fairly hot. Then you can wrap it and put it in the fridge. A disposable aluminum pan and some foil on the top will work. You can use your oven to slowly reheat it in the same pan and foil.

CD
That is exactly what I was thinking to reheat it. I was thinking to go with the pork for its forgiving qualities, and to be honest I am a little nervous. About 10 people are expecting some quality pulled pork from someone "southern". (I am from Virginia and moved up north. The GF's family is all from the north.) I just want to serve up some good Q that they will enjoy. Thanks!

Unread 07-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

I vote for cherry with a hint of hickory as well.

Of course, I also like a straight cherry wood smoke as well.

Unread 07-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic.semper.pork View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking to reheat it. I was thinking to go with the pork for its forgiving qualities, and to be honest I am a little nervous. About 10 people are expecting some quality pulled pork from someone "southern". (I am from Virginia and moved up north. The GF's family is all from the north.) I just want to serve up some good Q that they will enjoy. Thanks!
Now you have it under control....

Unread 07-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
spyre
Got Wood.

I use hickory with good results. I would try to time it as others have said so it'll be fresh for the bbq. It'll sit in a cooler wrapped for a good long while before you have to pull and serve. If you want to wow them with it that would be your best bet.
spyre is offline   Reply With Quote