The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Orange wood chunks...

Okay, I'm at Academy buying shirts for working outside in Texas heat, and I wander into the grilling section, where I buy some of my wood chunks. For the first time, I see Orange wood chunks. I have no idea what they are good for, but a bag of it is $4.99, so I buy one.

So, now I need to ask the brethren if they have used orange wood, and what it is good for.

CD
caseydog is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
lance0623
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0

It's fantastic - used it for the first time this last weekend. Very light and mild; burns extremely clean. I think it'd be hard to oversmoke anything with it. Also gives the meat a very nice reddish color; doesn't turn nearly as dark.
lance0623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

I've used the same exact brand of orange wood in chicken and it was good. The aroma of it burning wasn't as good as other fruitwood to me, just smokey without a real special aroma. However the flavor on the meet was excellent and the skin had a nice golden color.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

i picked up the same exact bag also. i've only used it on chicken and it was great.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
ICDEDTURKES
On the road to being a farker

Western put out Peach this year as well.. Only place I have ever seen it however is Cabelas, locally no one carries it nor orange yet.
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
oifmarine2003
is One Chatty Farker

They just started carrying them at Bass Pro as well. They also just got peach.

Homemade Wood Smokehouse, Charmglow gasser, Smoke Hollow, UDS, dual chamber homemade grill, Uline Weber Kettle
Certified MOINK Baller

UNLINED DRUM KING OF CHICAGO AREA

Scrap Iron Chef
oifmarine2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've never cooked with orange but I would love to try it if I can ever find some.

On another note. I heard these shirts are great for beating the Texas heat.

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Big Johnson
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
I've never cooked with orange but I would love to try it if I can ever find some.

On another note. I heard these shirts are great for beating the Texas heat.

O Noooooooooooo...
Big Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
Tsevg9
On the road to being a farker

LOLOLOLOL That shirt is great. Btw, never tried Orange wood, but seems like you could use it in replacement for any fruit bearing hardwood.

Unread 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Big Johnson.

That's all I got...Big Johnson. Great screen name. There's a thread floating around her somewhere about how you chose your screen name, you should check it out. Just take it easy, there's a few nice ladies around here.

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
deguerre

Citrus of all types are wonderful smoke woods in my experience. If a more delicate (This is not to say less intense, per se) smoke flavor is wanted especially. You've reminded me. I've got five sections of a small trunk (About 5"x5"X5") that I need to split into chunks. Had them about three years since they were cut so I assume they're seasoned by now.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

The land that I live on used to be an orange grove... a neglected orange grove. Over the years I've had plenty of trees die and I've smoked with the wood a few times. As others have said, it's pretty mild. I quit using it because it seems to burn up too fast. But, there is no harm in giving it a shot.

I've wondered if I would have had better results using it while it was still a little green (instead of completely dry.)

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
Tonybel
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance0623 View Post
It's fantastic - used it for the first time this last weekend. Very light and mild; burns extremely clean. I think it'd be hard to oversmoke anything with it. Also gives the meat a very nice reddish color; doesn't turn nearly as dark.
Ditto what Lance0623 said...
I like it..

Unread 06-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsevg9 View Post
Btw, never tried Orange wood, but seems like you could use it in replacement for any fruit bearing hardwood.
I think apple, peach and cherry have a nicer smoke than orange.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
caseydog

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDEDTURKES View Post
Western put out Peach this year as well.. Only place I have ever seen it however is Cabelas, locally no one carries it nor orange yet.
I have cooked with Peach before. My Ex FIL gave me some. It was VERY mild, almost to the point of too mild. Definitely better for poultry than beef.

CD
caseydog is online now   Reply With Quote