The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
jimbonelson
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ornamental cherry wood

Has anybody every smoked with it, I understand it bears no fruit but I have received different responses from different people, I threw some in my smoker the other night after my cook and it gave off a sweet smell.
jimbonelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

try it with some meat.. if i remember right i have smoked with it before and was pleased with the results.. try it on something cheap.. lol Chicken For The Win!
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeQue View Post
try it with some meat... lol Chicken For The Win!
I'll see your chicken and raise you some beef, salmon, pork and maybe a sliced up spud.

I highly agree to test the wood with some meat. I suggest mixing it up with several meats to see what works best. (I specifically mention salmon because IMO salmon and cherry go together like a horse and carriage.) But throw a couple burger patties on with some pork steaks or 'country ribs' and anything else you like to BBQ. You might even do this with woods you are more familiar with such as hickory, maple, apple and so on. It is instructive to see what flavor the wood gives to various foods.

As far as cherry goes, I find it interesting that the cherry flavor actually comes through in the smoke!

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
jimbonelson
Knows what a fatty is.

will try with something small or sparingly
jimbonelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
DepChief22
Knows what a fatty is.

I have used it before and I have a pork butt on now and I am using it. I like it, it has a nice sweet task. Really good used with ribs.

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

I have used ornamental cherry many times as my friend is a landscaper, it is fine. I see no difference with smoking with Fruit Cherry, Wild Cherry, or Ornamental Cherry... It all tastes great when seasoned (dry).

Any wood is good for smoking as long as it's cherry..... (Saw somewhere here in another post).

Last edited by IamMadMan; 07-02-2013 at 09:28 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
hawkeye29
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Not to hijack but have the same question with ornamantal crab apple....also a landscaper and rip them out a lot
hawkeye29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye29 View Post
Not to hijack but have the same question with ornamantal crab apple....also a landscaper and rip them out a lot
The ornamental crab apple / thorn apple is safe to use just as apple is. I too, use these when they are given to me. I even use the branches 1" or greater in diameter. Just make sure they are seasoned (dry).

Nothing beats free fruit woods even if they are just ornamentals.