The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Peter B
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Offset Smoker Water pan question

The temperature on my offset got away from me over the weekend. I was cooking at 275/300 instead of the desired 225. I was running around doing a bunch of stuff and just didnt have the time to dedicate to watching the firebox. In hindsight, I am thinking that a water pan would have helped to regulate the temperature a bit but what is the best way to add water to an offset?

Fill a foil pan with water and move it close to the firebox or just pour water into the bottom of the main cooking chamber?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
BBQfirefighter148
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
The temperature on my offset got away from me over the weekend. I was cooking at 275/300 instead of the desired 225. I was running around doing a bunch of stuff and just didnt have the time to dedicate to watching the firebox. In hindsight, I am thinking that a water pan would have helped to regulate the temperature a bit but what is the best way to add water to an offset?

Fill a foil pan with water and move it close to the firebox or just pour water into the bottom of the main cooking chamber?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
what type of offset do you have
BBQfirefighter148 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Peter B
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a custom pit by JJ. The main cooking chamber is 20x36 and is 1/4 inch steel. I believe I can add water to the main cooking chamber while cooking but I don't know if I will bring about rust doing this.

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
BBQfirefighter148
Knows what a fatty is.

you can add tuning plates to it. is the steel painted or coated?

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Peter B
Knows what a fatty is.

The steel is painted and it already has tuning plates.

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
cliffcarter
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Chargriller, I don't use a water pan because all it does is cause you to use more fuel.
Are you burning charcoal in the firebox or wood? If wood, take some out. If charcoal shut the intake to the firebox and ride it out. IMHO your cooking temps of 275°-300° are not too high.

Last edited by cliffcarter; 07-01-2013 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: Forgot the dang period...
cliffcarter is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Looked at JJ's web site, looks like most of his pits are traditional offsets. If you have tuning plates or a baffle, you could just use a throw-away foil pan on top of the tuning plates/baffle, put it on the firebox end af fill with your favorite liquid - apple juice is my go to.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
BBQfirefighter148
Knows what a fatty is.

i am pretty positive that you wont rust the steel as long as its protected. and place a foil pan on top of the tuning plate, or use sand instead of water. I use sand in my WSM (pain to keep adding water)

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Peter B
Knows what a fatty is.

I like the foil pan on top of the tuning plate idea. It doesn't take away cook space and I don't fill the bottom of the cooking chamber with liquid.

Thank you very much for this.

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I like the foil pan on top of the tuning plate idea. It doesn't take away cook space and I don't fill the bottom of the cooking chamber with liquid.

Thank you very much for this.
UR Welcome. Until recently my pit could be set-up as a traditional offset with spaced tuning plates or as RF with a solid baffle plate. I used the traditional offset configuration for chickens & turkey's to get the skin crispy, but also used the foil pan idea for an AJ pan to try an keep moisture in the pit - seemed to work pretty good. I've since decided to rebuild my pit as a dedicated RF and I'm in the middle of the rebuild now. That all said, as you get more time on your pit and learn fire management through trial and error, I think you will find just managing the fire will give you resuts you will be proud of without a water pan. Good luck!
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
. I was cooking at 275/300 i
Those are normal BBQ temps. Waterpans are for ECB's. Do you know what the difference is in cooking at Normal temps Vs just above jerky making temps??? More Sleep and a Moister Product. As much as I can't stand that White haired Ga Boy with a an attitude He's won more Beauty Pageants cooking H&F than anyone cooking at 225.

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
ddweatherholtz
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Those are normal BBQ temps. Waterpans are for ECB's. Do you know what the difference is in cooking at Normal temps Vs just above jerky making temps??? More Sleep and a Moister Product. As much as I can't stand that White haired Ga Boy with a an attitude He's won more Beauty Pageants cooking H&F than anyone cooking at 225.
Agreed. 275ish is prime in my offset. Q comes out better at that temp than 225.
Weber Smokey Joe
Maverik ET732
ddweatherholtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
Peter B
Knows what a fatty is.

I am still pretty new to my offset. I used to cook on a WSM and I cooked most everything at 225 on it. It sounds like i need to learn how to cook at 275 instead of trying to force my pit down to 225.

Thanks again for the help.

Unread 07-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

IMO 225 is a very low temp for bbq. Personally I prefer 250-275 for pork and beef, 300ish for chicken. Try it and I bet you won't go back! Good luck

Unread 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
TheBourbonBear
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
IMO 225 is a very low temp for bbq. Personally I prefer 250-275 for pork and beef, 300ish for chicken. Try it and I bet you won't go back! Good luck

I used to smoke at 225 and after messing around at 250 for a couple cooks, I am a firm believer this is the proper temp. As you said, "once you go 250, you won't....." errr you get the idea

As for the chicken, I like to start it at about 310 and bring it down to about 280 for the rest of the cook