The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #31
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

i have a question for the experienced competitors about the lettuce. if the meat is hot, wouldn't the lettuce be wilted by thre time it gets opened and how do you prevent this?
phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #32
BrooklynQ
Banned

Here's what I do.

Wash the lettuce and parsley. Lay them out in a cooler with paper towels and some ice to keep them cool till you need them.

Setup a bin with some ice water. Put some lettuce leaves in there. Put a bunch of parsley in there. Always keep a box worth of lettuce/parsley in the ice water.

Open up the turn in box.

Take out a leaf - dry it off about 98%. It will still be moist, but not wet. Setup the bed of lettuce and parsley. For the parsley - i just shake the water from it. Again, not all but almost all the water off it.

Layout the meat.

Finish off the box with the lettuce and parsley.

Ask Phil and Smoker for second opinons on the layout. Make neccessary revisions. Take a picture of it.

Seal up the box and give to Sharon to take to the judges.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #33
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad
i have a question for the experienced competitors about the lettuce. if the meat is hot, wouldn't the lettuce be wilted by thre time it gets opened and how do you prevent this?
phil
Not a real problem and it affects most teams the same.
Most of us try to time it so the box is just getting finished at the window time. Keep it short.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #34
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My wife uses a salad spinner after keeping the lettuce in ice water.

Bringing up the turn in times begs another question: What is your strategy for timing your turn in? It's generally a 10 minute window, right? Do you try to get your entry there at 5 minutes before turn in or closer to, but not later than, 5 minutes after?

I think the meat, while being prepped, loses enough heat that it doesn't really affect the lettuce all that much.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #35
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams
My wife uses a salad spinner after keeping the lettuce in ice water.

Bringing up the turn in times begs another question: What is your strategy for timing your turn in? It's generally a 10 minute window, right? Do you try to get your entry there at 5 minutes before turn in or closer to, but not later than, 5 minutes after?

I think the meat, while being prepped, loses enough heat that it doesn't really affect the lettuce all that much.
This has been discussed in the past.
Some say early, some say late.
Some claim to wait around at the turn-in table to follow a "new team"-- hoping to get on the same table and score better. I never really figured that one out since the Reps mix boxes and tables to keep one team from getting judged by the same table twice (if possible).

We are just glad to hit the window

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #36
BBQJunkie
Found some matches.

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions on the turn-in box. This will be a memorable experience for our team. I will continue to work on the chicken. I liked the idea of dipping the thighs in the sauce rather than brushing. Brushes are such a pain in the *&# to clean.

[url]http://www.bbqjunkie.com[/url]
BBQJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #37
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQJunkie
Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions on the turn-in box. This will be a memorable experience for our team. I will continue to work on the chicken. I liked the idea of dipping the thighs in the sauce rather than brushing. Brushes are such a pain in the *&# to clean.
Get a chain brush. Instead of the hair or filament, they are tiny linked chains. I got one at Bass Pro and love it. Cleans in a snap.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2006, 07:48 PM   #38
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

also, you might try a silicone brush. they are nice to work with.
phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #39
MrsMista
Full Fledged Farker

I tried bbqjunkies chicken today and I could give a flying fig about wet or dry lettuce, the chicken was damn tasty.
MrsMista is offline   Reply With Quote