ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
Dyce51
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First rib burnoff

My family has tried to get me to compete in the past but I have always shied away from it. My wife and daughter entered me in a local Burnoff that will be July 4th. Any last minute pointers ya'all could give me? How much meat to take, entry says enough for 5 judges samples.
Dyce51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Good luck!

It's a little late, but I would do a dry run at home including setting up the same way to will at the competition. This helps make sure that you have everything that you need.

As far as how much meat, is it a one time turn in to the judges? If so, then it sounds like you need to turn in a minimum of 5 ribs. I would turn in 6 just in case you don't cut through a couple bones all the way and one judge ends up with two. Do you know how the ribs are turned in? Styrofoam container, plate? I would fill the turn in container/plate with meat since a full box/plate looks better.

For a typical KCBS competition I cook 4 racks to make sure that I have enough for turn in. Each rack cooks differently and I want enough to have choices for turn in.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
jmoney7269
Banned

if you only need to turn in 5 samples, i would definitley look into using the Hollywood cut. it works well for us when your only turning in 7 samples. just so the judge can easily get a healthy bite and taste that flava!
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

+1 hollywood cut, OR do 2 bone cuts.

Unsanctioned; the average person is going to want it nearly falling off the bone. Play to that. 2 bones allows it to pull apart easily, both demonstrating to the individual judge just how tender it is and then hopefully the bite wont disappoint. Otherwise, the hollywood cut does great.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Dyce51

Thanks for all the advice!! I will post pics and results after the competition!!

Unread 07-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
DepChief22
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
if you only need to turn in 5 samples, i would definitley look into using the Hollywood cut. it works well for us when your only turning in 7 samples. just so the judge can easily get a healthy bite and taste that flava!
What is the Hollywood cut?

Unread 07-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Mad About Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepChief22 View Post
What is the Hollywood cut?
Dep.. the Hollywood cut is where you cut down the edge of one bone, skip a bone and cut done the edge of the third. leaving a hunk of rib with a bone in the center with thick rib meat on each side. gives the judge/whatever a lot to sample on. which is great. also helps keep the moisture level higher. or so some say.

Unread 07-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Tell us about the judges.

I'll assume the judges are just a bunch of folks off the street and not CBJ's. If this is the case go with as close to falling off the bone as possible (without actually falling off the bone) and over-sauced with a sweet sauce. If I had a buck for how many times I've heard: "BBQ is all about the sauce". Well, I guess I'd only have about 30 or 40 bucks, but you get the point.

In short, cater to your judges. CBJ's would require a different strategy.

Unread 07-02-2013, 03:52 AM   #9
Dyce51

as far as I know the judges are fair committee people and a couple of local chef's. I made a batch of my Sweet Apple BBQ Sauce last night and made it nice and Sweet.

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
kwas68
Full Fledged Farker

Is garnish allowed?

If this is an amateur comp, most teams aren't going to garnish. Go to bbqcritic.com and check out rib entries. This will provide you a big advantage.

Because most amateur comp organizers only dig surface deep (if at all) in the KCBS rulebook for guidance, they usually do not weigh appearance, taste and tenderness differently. Therefore, a good looking box is really important.

Sweet wins.

Good luck!

Unread 07-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
buttburnersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

My pointers is just to have fun . You will meet some great people . Cook great BBQ and don't over think everything . Just wait , this is the beginning. After today you will be hooked into the comp world. Get ready to open up your wallet. Once you start you can't stop. It's a addiction. May need to go to AA for BBQ .

Unread 07-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
Dyce51

OK I got an email that said the Ribs will be judged on Tenderness, Flavor and Appearance. So sounds like I should go for "fall off the bone" tenderness and definitely use my sweet apple bbq sauce!! I did buy some greens to "dress" up my box.

Unread 07-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
Dyce51

I am figuring on using the 3-2-1- method to make them fall off the bone tender and juicy! I started early this morning and trimmed the ribs and removed the "silver skin". Next I rinsed them off and patted them dry. I then mixed up a batch of my rib rub and generously rubbed the dry rub in real good and wrapped the ribs up and put them in the fridge to let the rub "soak" in. I figure turn in is at 7:30 tonight so I will get there and set the smoker up at 1 pm and get it heated up. I am still debating if I should bring my grill with me, (Some times I like to put the ribs on a HOT grill after I sauce them to "caramelize" the sauce) or if I should just sauce them and put them back on the smoker for the last hour......

Unread 07-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Dyce51

I took 2nd on ribs. I will post a couple of pics after I download them.

Unread 07-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

awesome; congrats!
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote