The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Mahoney86
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Question on resting meat in cooler

So I had my first large for me cook this weekend, 2 full packers, 10 racks of ribs and about 100 chicken thighs. Cooked this for a graduation party on site solo and I must say I worked very well. I wanted to rest my brisket for about 4 hours in a cooler wrapped in foil. One brisket probed tender at 205* the other was around 208* by the time is probed like butter. These were my 2 best briskets I ever cooked. Into the cooler they went. When slicing time came they had browned out and one was way dry, the other was still good but way over cooked. My guests still though the brisket was amazing, but you know how us cooks beat ourselves up. Ive rested in coolers before and never had this happen. I am assuming the brisket just kept on cooking in the coolers. Am I supposed to open up the foil every now and then to let some of the hot air out? What did I do wrong?
Mahoney86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney86 View Post
So I had my first large for me cook this weekend, 2 full packers, 10 racks of ribs and about 100 chicken thighs. Cooked this for a graduation party on site solo and I must say I worked very well. I wanted to rest my brisket for about 4 hours in a cooler wrapped in foil. One brisket probed tender at 205* the other was around 208* by the time is probed like butter. These were my 2 best briskets I ever cooked. Into the cooler they went. When slicing time came they had browned out and one was way dry, the other was still good but way over cooked. My guests still though the brisket was amazing, but you know how us cooks beat ourselves up. Ive rested in coolers before and never had this happen. I am assuming the brisket just kept on cooking in the coolers. Am I supposed to open up the foil every now and then to let some of the hot air out? What did I do wrong?
I asked almost the exact same questions with exact same issues a couple days ago and was in the exact same situation.

The guys here told me to open the foil and let it cool down for about 20 minutes, then re wrap and into the cooler.

I put mine in a few minutes after taking it off the grill without unwrapping and When I pulled mine out a few hours later it was as hot as when I took it off the grill. Next time I will let it cool for 20 minutes unwrapped before putting it in the cooler
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
BeansBaxter
Knows what a fatty is.

Definitely need to rest before foiling and putting it in the cooler. The carry-over heat kept cooking your brisket past the point of being done.

Unread 07-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Mahoney86
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the info guys. I did exactly that, wrapped it up and into the cooler as I was in a frenzy to keep get all the rib membranes pulled and on the cooker. Will try it again this weekend
Mahoney86 is offline   Reply With Quote