The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
ironmanerik
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default beef rib help

Can anyone explain beef loin ribs vs short ribs, which you prefer, and cooking method?

smoke shack in progress
ironmanerik is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

If I get this wrong, forgive me.

The loin ribs come from the top part of the cow, and they are attached to the areas that produces rib roast (from which we get prime rib), rib eyes, and sirloins (head to tail)

The short ribs come from the lower part of the cow, and can be cut two ways: Lengthwise, which is sometimes called the English cut (Looks like a Dinosaur Rib), or crosswise, which creates the short rib seen in Asian/Hawaiian restaurants.

I have not smoked English cut short ribs. I normally marinate and grill the "Asian" short ribs.

oooooh! I beat deguerre!

Last edited by SmokinJohn; 07-01-2013 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: adding directions.
SmokinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Question was asked (well half of it) so I explained how I do mine. Good luck.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=164623
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Yellowhair42
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
If I get this wrong, forgive me.

The loin ribs come from the top part of the cow, and they are attached to the areas that produces rib roast (from which we get prime rib), rib eyes, and sirloins (head to tail)

The short ribs come from the lower part of the cow, and can be cut two ways: Lengthwise, which is sometimes called the English cut (Looks like a Dinosaur Rib), or crosswise, which creates the short rib seen in Asian/Hawaiian restaurants.

I have not smoked English cut short ribs. I normally marinate and grill the "Asian" short ribs.

oooooh! I beat deguerre!

Spot on dude! Think of loin ribs like baby backs from a cow.Short ribs are like St. Louis cut.

Unread 07-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Dgilleece
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Smokinjohn explained the rib difference but to answer you other question which I prefer and cooking method here is my two cents worth. I like the "english short ribs' best. I think they are meater than the others although they seem to have a bit more fat. I did some about a month ago and they were fantastic. Has for how to cook them keep your rub simple. A little salt and pepper maybe a bit of heat like cayenne but nothing too complex. I smokes mine with some Mequite wood but oak, or hickory would be good also. More of a taste thing on the type of wood. Did about 4 racks of about 4 bones each rack and smoked them at about 250 for about 5 1/2 hours. I did the probe test and when they probed like butter I covered them in my favorite BBQ and smoked them another 30 to 40 minutes. Pulled them and let them rest about about another 30 and cut them up and goobled them down. Very tender and very tasty. The only thing I would do different the next time is to cut a little of the fat away but not too much
Dgilleece is offline   Reply With Quote