The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
HarleySmoker93
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default My New Weapon

Ok so my new weapon is a Oklahoma Joes Longhorn. I started off using an MES40 and have gotten pretty comfortable with for it the last couple years. My new OK Joe's was previously owned but never used. Can anyone tell me what some basic mods are that may need to be done to my we Longhorn? Is there anything I need to be aware of with this particular smoker? This is my first stick burner so any advise on how to transition from an electric smoker to a stick burner would be greatly appreciated. We are having a big BBQ for the 4th and I would like to try smoking some ribs or chicken to test it out. If I don't feel comfortable I may end up using the MES and I would rather not resort back.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome to the stick burner club! Don't have one so I can't help much with mods though lol

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=148660

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=211078

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Welcome to the world of stickburners! Consider a baffle or tuning plates to even out the heat and get the advantage of radiant heat. At the bottom of the page is a search tool. Just enter "baffle" and you can review several threads to get the idea. Here is just one example:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=153320

EDIT You can also search on "tuning plates", lots of good examples.

Last edited by dwfisk; 06-29-2013 at 06:30 AM..
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

It sounds like you want to burn sticks through it, but IF you decide to start with some charcoal instead, a expanded metal basket would be very wise.

I concur that a heat baffle is a very smart idea and pretty easily accomplished even for us non metalworkers. Maybe a nice thermometer in each end of the lid, near grate level. There will pretty much always be a temperature difference from one end to the other, might as well know what it is.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I have an Ok Joe

1 baffle/tuning plates
2 extend the chimney close to the grate with a dryer vent elbow
3 take the fire grate turn it 90* in the firebox to raise the fire. take another grate from the cook chamber and lay it across the fire grate in the other direction to create a grid
4 ignore the temp gauge
5 cook
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
HarleySmoker93

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am working on the tuning plates, baffles, exhaust. Should be enjoying some good Q soon.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
ksace
On the road to being a farker

Hey, don't wait until you get the mods complete. I have had my longhorn for around 8 years and haven't done any mods yet. I keep thinking about it but I keep getting good food off of it anyway. Just learn to use it the way it is and add mods as you get a chance, or not. Either way, they will cook for you.
ksace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
HarleySmoker93

Great idea. I think I'll try a couple chickens. Is there a sweet spot in the smoker or is each one different? Should I need to just experiment with temps in different areas?