The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
PapaBearsHickoryPit
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Pellet Envy cooking class

Has anybody taken this class??? Looking to take a class and they have one near me. With so many classes out there I don't know which one to choose since they are all relatively pricey for me. Does it rank in your top 10? Top 5?
Thanks in advance!

Unread 06-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Cayman1
Full Fledged Farker

Don't take it! More competition for me.

Seriously, it is a great class and worth the money. Rod is also a real gentleman and will answer any question you have and doesn't hold back on the information, but you still have to cook the meat. Taking the class just gives you several steps up in learning. I took the class in the spring, and although no GC yet, have had several calls and good finishes in strong fields of teams. When I didn't get a call, it was my fault (sometimes poor quality meat to start with) and not the recipes or procedures you will learn in the class.

Unread 06-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
jmoney7269
Banned

We are all forums, YouTube, and practice. A team that will allow you to help them a few times might help also. IMO comp classes are strictly for beginners. It took us 2 years before we got our 1st GC. Practice practice practice.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
PapaBearsHickoryPit
Got Wood.

I've only done 2 contests but have had pretty good results. 8 place overall and 6 th overall. I am horrible at chicken and it has cost me some great finishes. Just looking to learn some new techniques and build on what I already know and am capable of. Thanks for your input Cayman.

Last edited by PapaBearsHickoryPit; 06-29-2013 at 05:40 PM..
PapaBearsHickoryPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
oig2scout
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Rod does a great job worth the money if you take good notes. Do what he says as he said it and you will reap the rewards. Start modifying what he shares will only put you back where you started. It has been very helpful to me and I have been competing for three years. I even sent my son this winter so he could hear first hand.
oig2scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

We took Rod's class back when he was tag teaming with Johnny Trigg. Both guys did a great job. I don't know how much Rod's class has changed now that he cooks on the Jambo, but when we took it he was using the FEC-100's and his timing was based around that cooker.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
We took Rod's class back when he was tag teaming with Johnny Trigg. Both guys did a great job. I don't know how much Rod's class has changed now that he cooks on the Jambo, but when we took it he was using the FEC-100's and his timing was based around that cooker.
THATS the class I wish I could take!

Unread 06-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
We are all forums, YouTube, and practice. A team that will allow you to help them a few times might help also. IMO comp classes are strictly for beginners. It took us 2 years before we got our 1st GC. Practice practice practice.
It's good to know you are much better than everyone else who takes classes. Don't see how this related to the OP about the pellet envy class.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
virginia lawyer
Got Wood.

Default Highly recommended

I took the class Rod and Johnny Trigg did together in Yorktown, VA in March 2011 and I can assure everyone that it was not just for new competitors -- at least two teams in the top 50 for 2012 TOY were also there.

Rod is an excellent teacher who will provide you with complete details of his recipes, techniques and processes (he even compares what he used to do on the FEC with what he now does on the Jambo). I would highly recommend this class to anyone at any level.
virginia lawyer is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Excellent class

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Andrews
On the road to being a farker

It's well worth the money!
I took first in Pork in my first contest after taking Rod's class. that paid for half the class....

The class is taught well and Rod teaches many of those little techniques that step up your program. Take lots of notes and you can't go wrong!!
Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
INmitch
Take a breath!

I may be going out on a limb here but I'd say Rod's classes have turned out more GC's than any other.

Unread 06-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
PapaBearsHickoryPit
Got Wood.

Looks like it's a great class and god willing i'll be able to sign up. Thanks guys!!

Unread 06-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
It's good to know you are much better than everyone else who takes classes. Don't see how this related to the OP about the pellet envy class.
It has to do with the OP because i posted in regard to the OP. leave the relevancy of my posts to the moderators, it's their job not yours. Nope your the one puttin words in my mouth bud. If you got the money to take the class, that's great, take it. You will learn something. I learn something new from good teams every Cookoff I go to. A comp class is Gonna teach you some stuff you didn't know and stuff you already know. Have spoken to many people via email or YouTube and some think classes are worth it. Some people don't. I have nothing against people wanting to further their education in the art of BBQ, but I do have a problem when people speak on my behalf. It's just my story of go we got decent in BBQ. It's not right or wrong.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Heres my thoughts .I have taken 2 classes. We had competed 3 yrs before taking Rods class.Had a few GCs but results were all over no consistency .After taking the class I think the GC to entry ratio is about the same but the top 10 ratio is much better. But the one thing that I thought was worth the trip was all the info on simplifying and shrinking down all of the unnecessary crap we hauled with. You learn methods that are repeatable day in day out. Your mileage may vary
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->