Cleaning coolers

White Dog BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK, I may be imagining things, but I swear I saw a thread about 2 weeks ago about cleaning the outside of coolers, plastic tables, etc., and I can't find the thread. I tried search and it was not my friend. So unless someone can point me to the correct thread, here's my question -- what can you do to clean up a grungy, dirty, greasy cooler that you take from comp to comp?

Thanks!

Erik

I first hose out the major gunk. Then spray the entire cooler down with orange greased lightening...I think I got that at home depot. Scrub with large kitchen scrubbie. Hose. Hit with spray of Clorox clean up. Let sit for a bit. Scrub with kitchen scrubbie. Hose, air dry and if keeping outside in driveway store upside down so rain doesn't get in. Looks pretty close to new.

Outside of cooler and tables....we've used Comet and a plastic brush with great success.

Inside of cooler...a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or generic equiv.) works wonders.

Spray Nine is an amazing cleaner that I use for everything including cleaning coolers.

For the inside, I always put about a cup of clorox and fill the rest of the way with water. Then let it sit overnight. The next day just empty, scrub with soap and water and let it sit open in your garage for a couple days to to get the clorox smell out. It will look like new. The outside, I usually use SOS pads, but there are probably better ways.

We usually scrub ours inside and out with soapy water and a little bleach. Then lay a beer/soda water can across the top so the lid doesn't quite shut and store it in the barn.

With the cost of chemicals and the labor, it may be cheaper to just throw it away and buy a new one!:shock:

Tables:ajax, comet, chlorox soft scrub or chlorox cleanup (or any good degreasing cleaner)
Coolers: same, but after the scrubbing, put some straight chlorox in the cooler, fill with water and let sit for a few hours before rinsing.

There are 2 different kinds of degreasers - 1 for petroleum based greases, and 1 for animal fats. Find a Foodservice place, or a janitorial supplier and get a kitchen type of degreaser. You can use your standard degreasers, however if you buy one specifically for kitchen/animal fats it works way better, and faster. If you let the chemical sit for 10 minutes, you won't need any elbow grease.

After you've degreased your cooler, the cheapest way to disinfect it is to use 10 parts water, with 1 part bleach. A 30 second contact time will kill most food borne illnesses. If you want to go by the book, make sure the cooler stays wet for 10 minutes with the bleach solution.

Degrease first, disinfect last.

Done!

Back