The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #31
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

First off welcome! Pretty much everything I'd call "essential" has been mentioned, one thing I'll add is it's nice to have a remote thermometer for checking the internal temps on certain cuts of meat for obtaining a certain doneness. I also use it very often to monitor the pit temp by simply resting the probe on the grate near the meat. This one, made by Oniedahttp://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...FZR9OgodujkAYg works very well and is inexpensive and they really stand behind their product. Some mentioned a grommet for fitting the probe though the smoker wall; while it works, it's not necessary to install a grommet. Simply drill a hole just large enough to fit the probe through(about 1/8"). No need to seal it up when not in use since it's such a small hole. For a regular meat thermometer, I just use an inexpensive dial type- don't waste your money on a cheap digital one as they take about a day and a half to get a reading! Oh and one other thing you might want to have handy is a quality, NEW, spray bottle for spritzing your meat with apple juice or cider vinegar or whatever. Helps with moisture on certain cuts. Good luck and be sure to post when you fire up your smoker to break her in!

Unread 06-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #32
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam2 View Post
Aside froma all the food handling gear already mentioned, one of the most important things is a thermometer. Before I bought my thermapen, I bought Amazon.com: RT600C Super-fast Water-resistant Digital Pocket Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining this unit from thermoworks that is really good and very affordable.
One criteria I have for probe thermometers is that I can calibrate them if they drift. The Maverick Weekend Warrior has that feature. I could not find it for this thermometer. (I have an older cheaper digital thermometer that reads 20°F low )

Unread 06-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #33
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Everybody who coooks outdoors with fire should have a fully charged fire extinguisher in a place that is very easy to get to quickly.

It's about the time of year for those "I almost burned down my (house/yard/etc.)" threads.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #34
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Here are a few, nice not quite essentials. Foil and a baking pan/cookie sheet.

Baking pan is great place to set meat. I set it on a baking pan to rub it, I set it on a baking pan in the fridge (so no juice gets on a shelf), I set the hot meat on the pan to move it (abet often I should drop it in a chest), I could also wrap on the pan. Foil is a good way to cover the pan so it stays clean. Line pan in foil before rubbing - put meat on pit, throw away foil, clean pan. Line pan with foil to get meat... Foil can also be used to wrap meat during the cook, and for holding meat in the ice chest (abet paper works for this too). I also sometimes use wax paper instead of foil for the unheated part of prep.

Cutting board helps the table top last longer.

Definately not a necessity - but a vacuum bagging machine can not only let you split bulk meat into cook-able servings, and help freeze leftovers - it is also very convenient for marinading and brineing. W/O the vacume bag machine - ziplocks and plastic bags are practically an essential.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
mirage
Found some matches.

This is great guys! Thanks! I think I may pick up the Onieda and either the Weekend Warrior or the RT600C. I was looking at the Maverick 732 but there are quite a few people complaining of it not reading temps correctly and for $60 I would want it to be perfect. Have any of you had any issues with it misreading things? I know BBQGURU makes an adapter that fits into one of the bolt holes to allow for temp probes to fit in. I may pick that up for the probe. We actually own the Victorinox set and find them awesome in both quality and value good suggestion (also not paid to say that)! Thanks again, this is great. Very helpful!
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #36
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
... I was looking at the Maverick 732 but there are quite a few people complaining of it not reading temps correctly and for $60 I would want it to be perfect. Have any of you had any issues with it misreading things? I know BBQGURU makes an adapter that fits into one of the bolt holes to allow for temp probes to fit in. I may pick that up for the probe.
I have an ET-732. The cooker probe went bad soon after purchase and Maverick replaced it promptly with no questions asked. Other than that I'm confident in the readings.

For grommets I went with ordinary hardware store grommets at much less expense.

(After I put two in my mini-WSM I figured out that one is sufficient. )