MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
rbanks123
Found some matches.

Default The Smokenator?

Hello all,
I am considering getting one of the Smokenators? http://www.smokenator.com/ I am wondering if anyone here has any thoughts on this product of if maybe you use something else... maybe better? Anyway I would love your thoughts!

Thanks
Russ

Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

The product does work. However you can smoke on your kettle with spending much less than what the smokenator is sold for.

Options to smoke on a kettle -

Firebricks. Just create a barrier on the side of the kettle using the firebricks so the coals don't spill towards the middle. Fill the area and then add several light charcoals. Add unlit coals as needed.

Ring of fire method. Organize coals along the outside of the coal grate, placing wood every so often. Place a water pan in the middle and light one end of the ring and it will slowly burn its way around. Adjust the lid of the kettle every so often so that it is on the opposite side of the lite coals to maximize draft.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here's a thread from last year: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...or#post1978521
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

It works. I used it before getting a wsm. Make an offer as it's going unused.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

I have one, never gets used. If I'm going to smoke something on the kettle I'll use the firebrick method listed above. You can get hours that way with little fuss.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
rbanks123
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
It works. I used it before getting a wsm. Make an offer as it's going unused.
really?! would you take 25 for it?
rbanks123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

As above....I have one, and I used it frequently when I first got it, But I have figured out it is completely unnecessary. You can use the setups as shown above and get great results.

KC

Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
jsperk
Babbling Farker

I have one. I didn't use it for awhile. I was just using fire brick or the ring method. I recently started using it again and I really like it. Do you need it? No but I have always had great results using it.

It also depends how I'm cooking. Sometimes I cook ribs around 300 and other times lower and then I'll use the smokenator. I use it over my ceramic grill at times.
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

They work, the firebricks option accomplishes the same thing and is more accessible to add charcoal and such. The downside to kettle smoking is temperature control, the newer one touch is crap, I smoke with my intake vents shut basically. Strip magnets work better to cover up the holes if you are serious about controlling it at a certain temperature.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

A Smokenator came with the OTS when I bought it. I used it a few times but, now I think I'll let it go included with the (now) OTG when I put it on CL.
Like others have said, it works but is not necessary to smoke on a kettle.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
Oldhoss
Full Fledged Farker

I got mine used with a OTG. I think it takes up less space than the coal and firebricks or snake method. Read somewhere that it is good to set bark with no water at the start of a cook. So with the past couple butts I go with no water pan and load the cavity in the smokenator right full. After an hour and a half to two hours my bark is set and then I add the water pan. Another possible advantage to the smokenator is that the water pan can sit right down in the cavity where the coals are. That pan steams dry fast...they say it lasts and hour or so......at 250f it is gone in 35 minutes. This may be what you want in your smoking environment. I also read somewhere that in order to get control of rising temperatures add ice cubes....so I have added ice cubes to the water dish. If I do this when the dish is right down in the coals the temp will drop 30f fast. Sometimes I have the water dish on the cooking grate. I will also place wood on the cooking grate above a heap of coals to get a cleaner smoke. I have tinkered without the smokenator as well to good results. Would I sell mine though??? No.
Oldhoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #12
rbanks123
Found some matches.

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhoss View Post
I got mine used with a OTG. I think it takes up less space than the coal and firebricks or snake method. Read somewhere that it is good to set bark with no water at the start of a cook. So with the past couple butts I go with no water pan and load the cavity in the smokenator right full. After an hour and a half to two hours my bark is set and then I add the water pan. Another possible advantage to the smokenator is that the water pan can sit right down in the cavity where the coals are. That pan steams dry fast...they say it lasts and hour or so......at 250f it is gone in 35 minutes. This may be what you want in your smoking environment. I also read somewhere that in order to get control of rising temperatures add ice cubes....so I have added ice cubes to the water dish. If I do this when the dish is right down in the coals the temp will drop 30f fast. Sometimes I have the water dish on the cooking grate. I will also place wood on the cooking grate above a heap of coals to get a cleaner smoke. I have tinkered without the smokenator as well to good results. Would I sell mine though??? No.
thanks so much! you all are giving me some great ideas! this is perfect. Ill let you know what I decided when I get paid next...

russ
rbanks123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
b182evrclear
Knows what a fatty is.

I own one for my 22.5" and it works pretty well. It can turn out some really great food. I eventually ditched the water pan for a larger foil loaf pan that sits on top of the center hole so I refill the water less. You can also run it fine without the water but the temps are less stable. Burn times vary and I find it works best to add charcoal every 2-3 hrs depending on the cook time. Here's a link to a cook I did recently on it.

As many have mentioned, it isn't required to smoke successfully on the kettle. But since I have it, I use it every time because I leave it in all the time, there is no setup required. Just pour in coals/wood and go.

After about a year and a half of using it and learning, I decided to upgrade to a 22.5" WSM for more capacity and more stable temps.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
SmokeDiddy
On the road to being a farker

Like everyone else that's responded - I also have a Smokenator, but I find the fire bricks to be "more better" in terms of accessibility. I have have need for a water pan, I place it on the grate.

[B]*BSKD[/B]
[B]*Weber 22.5" OTS[/B]
[B]*40" MES[/B]
[B]*ECB (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Weber Smokey Joe (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Maverick ET-7[/B]
[COLOR="Red"]*Weber tongs and such, hd alum foil, chimneys, matches, wood and other misc doo-dads and thing-a-majigs[/COLOR]
SmokeDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
BeansBaxter
Knows what a fatty is.

Putting in another vote for firebricks. More charcoal capacity, better heat barrier, longer burn time. I recently got 14+ hours from a single load of 5 lbs of lump and 4 chunks of maple. Using my automatic temperature controller I was able to hold 250º without a problem the whole time.