喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:44 AM   #1
Wildcat
Full Fledged Farker

Default Looks like we got Kingsford's attention

I was over at the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board and saw this at the end of the Kingsford thread. Page 8 of the thread I think.

Seems they want to know just how we cook "low and slow" so they can study their new stuff our way. So they emailed one of the guys and asked him to help them.

Hope it's ok to post this link to the thread.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee/foru...2860059793/p/8

Maybe now something will get done for the "low and slow" guys.

Last edited by Wildcat; 03-11-2006 at 08:04 AM..
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
BobberQer
Banned

KIngsford... is asking.... how to lo-slo.... that's mind bogglin....

what about all their "We are the charcoal of que champions" commercials... wtf ??

what about all their "personal experiences" letters , with their own BBQ ,when they replied to consumer inquires???

That's scary for a corporation to be so in the dark when they sell a product .... they need to get out more, amongst the masses..

Has Coporate Ivory Tower written all over it ..

If it's true that they could be so unaware, uninformed, and uneducated about lo-slo
BobberQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 07:58 AM   #3
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I they were serious about charcoal, they wouldn't even make briquettes!!!!
Now that is just MYopinion and I don't know Jack. Gonna try the BBs again today in the RAIN.
PARTY!!!!!
Smoke On!!!! All of you BBQ Dogs $ dogettes.
ee

Old 03-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Could be a marketing angle to show where their new product can be sued when used "correctly" there by convincing one of the group to go and spread the word about how good it is when used "this way". Just a thought. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

All I know is I'm looking forward to using a bag of DuraFlame hardwood briquets that a friend gave me last night at the NKC Contest. It's the upper grade of charcoal and from what I was told produces very little ash and has no fillers like Kingsford. If I like that, I'm going to do whatever it takes to get in to KC and use that. This news from Kingsford actually angers me more than anything simply because like Bobberquer said... they claimed in all the replies to complaints that they had all this personal experience with low and slow and they knew their product was just as good as the old for that type of cooking. Well, Kingsford, which is it? Geez!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #6
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Has anyone seen any real testing of the new K used in our cooking profile (whatever that is)?

Or, is this aversion based on resistance to change without empirical data?
If I can find some, I am going to cook a couple or more loads with it and see how it works.

Just curious.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
Jeff_in_KC

Tim I can't remember who it was but one of the brothers here has used it and posted that it was crap. Although I believe someone else posted and said there seemed to be no difference.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn
Has anyone seen any real testing of the new K used in our cooking profile (whatever that is)?

Or, is this aversion based on resistance to change without empirical data?
If I can find some, I am going to cook a couple or more loads with it and see how it works.

Just curious.

TIM
I have used it to grill some pork, a few steaks, chicken breasts for fajitas, and some sausage. I didn't like it even for grilling. Maybe because it was new. It did burn hotter, observation which WAS NOT empirical was that it cooled off quicker. I was grilling some stuff to freeze and share with a few other people. I ended the cook adding more wood than normal to get the heat I needed to finish the chicken.

Never was a problem before with the old version, and the chicken was saved for the end of a long grilling session because I'd spread the coal bed by then to even out the temps and get the most use of the available grill space to do as much chicken as possible.

Pineland Liberator

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #9
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds a little fishy, oh wait......i just got an email from Rich Davis, he wants us give him info and research as to a new sauce that can last a cooking process without drying or burning
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I am sure that the New Kingsford was a product designed to save them money in Mfg costs, raw materials etc. I doubt that they would attempt to make a better product with their huge share of the market. It just does not make business sense. As we all know, the majority of the charcoal market is weekend grillers. I bet they are just throwing a bone to us "low and slow" BBQ'ers because the marketing guys are detecting a ripple in the market due to the disatisfaction of us "low and slow" BBQ'ers with the New Kingsford.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
FatDad
is One Chatty Farker

Default Curious

Go to the Kingsford link and scroll down to the very bottom and click on
"PRIVACY"
I am curious if Clorox has any ownership in Kingsford or is the privacy
statement just dealing with the website??

http://www.kingsford.com/products/product_1.htm#

The reason I love this site: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59061

3 WSM's
Weber Kettle w/ rotisserie
Weber Genesis
2 Turkey Fryers
FatDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
Bigmista

Clorox does own kingsford. Interesting, huh?

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #13
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

Clorox owns Kingsford. Go to:

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/index.html

I'm afraid it's all corporate now. As others have said, they aren't going to make changes unless it increases there profit.

We have some local lump available in SE Wis, so I'm going to try that and look at getting a better wood supply.

Modded Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, UDS, Brinkman gasser

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.
Chia Jen/The Clan --I Ching
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #14
FatDad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobberqeer
KIngsford... is asking.... how to lo-slo.... that's mind bogglin....

what about all their "We are the charcoal of que champions" commercials... wtf ??

what about all their "personal experiences" letters , with their own BBQ ,when they replied to consumer inquires???

That's scary for a corporation to be so in the dark when they sell a product .... they need to get out more, amongst the masses..

Has Coporate Ivory Tower written all over it ..

If it's true that they could be so unaware, uninformed, and uneducated about lo-slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista
Clorox does own kingsford. Interesting, huh?
That should clear up Bobberqeer post.
Clorox probably doesn't know "jack" about what the public likes.

The reason I love this site: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=59061

3 WSM's
Weber Kettle w/ rotisserie
Weber Genesis
2 Turkey Fryers
FatDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #15
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

For folks willing to use lump -- "best choice" (distributed in many Price Chopper, Safeway, Hen house, etc stores in the midwest) It is a store/private brand of lump.... but great quality, and inexpensive. I usually have several bags on hand at contests, if anyone wants to try some. None of that "Cowboy" brand issues.... like finding pieces of tongue and groove or other charred build site crud.