oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Default Texas to Yellowstone - necessary food (BBQ) stops

Going to be loading up the power wagon with our family of 7 and doing the great American road trip vacation. (ok, wife has family in Wyoming). I think home base while there is Riverton, but not 100% sure.

Now personally, I enjoy food tourism more than people watching or sight seeing. But I really don't know what type of food to look for driving up the west side of the great plains. This is one of 2 road trips this year, but the other one has a Much tighter time limit (which sucks, as the road trip to NC offers so much food possibilities).

Any suggestions, either food styles or specific places that demonstrate a regional style exceptionally would be appreciated. Does not need to be limited to BBQ.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

What is your route?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
jcinadr

I don't think we have a defined route one yet. Part of my wanting suggestions, so I have ideas on what to see/eat along the way. Wife was trying to start one yesterday by calling her family who have made the drive before. That said, trip up I will have more say, trip back I'm flying (wife wants to stay a week or so more than I have vacation for). I don't know how many meals out we will do - we have done 4 corners out of a cooler before (her parents lived in N. New Mexico for a bit).
Old 06-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I would say probably just stay in Texas, hehe.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

From Austin to Yellowstone, regarding elevation you have no way to go but up. Regarding BBQ, nowhere but down. I normally seek Mexican food and chicken fried steak out in those parts. Im always on the lookout for regional specialties like Indian Tacos with fry bread.

BBQ is just going to disappoint.

That being said, your route can be full of wonderful things to see. How much
of New Mexico do you have left to see? Carlsbad? Chaco Canyon? They're off the beaten path but worth special effort.

Arizona? Canyon De Chelly? North Rim of Grand Canyon? Both also worth special effort.

We just got back from a 4 week road trip out that way, have been out there many times before, and have barely scratched the surface.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
jcinadr

My wife is NM out from trips to visit her parents for a decade (I have not done any NM attractions other hotels Roswell and Carlsbad). Will probably be doing a more northerly route - possibly as far east as Oklahoma City and Wichita (another uncle). Expect we will cut back over around Denver and hit Ft Collins for a growler fill or 2.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Forget the BBQ go for the Mexican. HeSmellsLikeSmoke speaks the truth I've spent may a Day on the road all over that part of country once you get West of Bandera and North of I -20 it is pretty dismal for BBQ that's fit for consumption We are talking Crock pot PP with Kraft original.