oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Default ABT Question??

Started making ABT's a couple weeks ago thanks to the brethren and now I have people wanting to buy them by the dozen. Anyone ever calculate the food cost on a turd? How much should I charge per dozen?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Wolfpack
Knows what a fatty is.

Never calculated and would depend on stuffing but would guess $0.75-$1 a piece (assuming you split peppers in two. Buy your peppers from a Mexican tienda and they are significantly less expensive. Also cooked or uncooked?

Last edited by Wolfpack; 06-19-2013 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Never calculated and would depend on stuffing but would guess $0.75-$1 a piece (assuming you split peppers in two. Buy your peppers from a Mexican tienda and they are significantly less expensive. Also cooked or uncooked?
I use a cream cheese spread, little smokey and wrap it in a slice of bacon topped off with a little brown sugar and butt rub. Peppers are definitely split in two, thanks for the advice on the mexican tienda haven't been there in a while. I think I'm gonna charge $8/doz and try to calculate my costs this next time.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Toast
somebody shut me the fark up.

I see your in the Great State of Florida. In season for the pepper, .85 out of season .$1 per.

Just my .02
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Maverick ET-732, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen, Party Q

Toast is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

$8 per dozen? That won't cover your costs will it? Much less give you anything for your time. Remember to include charcoal costs too.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 AM   #6
Wolfpack
Knows what a fatty is.

Probably not worth it unless you can at least double your costs- do a trial run on a couple dozen and see how it works out. Good luck
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Just a wag, from memory. I use a pack of bacon, a lb of cream cheese, and some little smokies per 25. Figure $4 bacon, $2 cheese, $2 smokies (their pack does 50 though), and $2 for japs. That comes out to $5/dozen. I think it cost me about $20 though when I make 75, so I assume rounding went in my favor. That or I made 100 and only served 75 (burp, had to sample to make sure they were good ya know).

fwiw I core rather than split the japs - so one pepper, 1/2 strip of bacon, 1 little smokie, and a dollop of cream cheese per ABT. Funny, adding the little smokies might actually save money...
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

I love ABTs, but (to me) they are a lot of work. I don't think I could charge enough to cover my time.

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler93 View Post
I use a cream cheese spread, little smokey and wrap it in a slice of bacon topped off with a little brown sugar and butt rub. Peppers are definitely split in two, thanks for the advice on the mexican tienda haven't been there in a while. I think I'm gonna charge $8/doz and try to calculate my costs this next time.

I do mine the same way!!!!!!

Quick calc,

24 peppers (for 4 doz) 8.00 (probably less)
I might be wrong on these prices, but not much.
Little smokies bag 4.00 (If you use 1 per ABT, then you will only have enough to make about 40)
Cream Cheese 2lb 4.00
Cheese 2lbs 8.00
Bag of brown sugar 2.00

$26 for 4 doz or $6.50 per doz (not including cost of rub and charcoal)

Forgot the BACON! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
If you buy in bulk/catch sales/freeze you could lower the price.

Last edited by SmokinJohn; 06-20-2013 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Forgot bacon - hangs head in shame
SmokinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler93 View Post
Started making ABT's a couple weeks ago thanks to the brethren and now I have people wanting to buy them by the dozen. Anyone ever calculate the food cost on a turd? How much should I charge per dozen?
Work up a shopping list for all the ingredients required to make at least 24 (12 japs cut lengthwise) Invite you friends over and give them a tutorial on how to make them (work the hell out of them)and let them tell you what they would be willing to pay you? Let them pay for all the initial expenses first and show them the time it takes to make them.
You may find out who your real friends are.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

$1 each 3 for $2.50
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

I will calculate the food cost this weekend after buying all the supplies. I might be losing money on the ABT's but I should make out ok overall plus I love a day on the smoker. 2 slabs of ribs, 1 But and 2 doz ABT's for $90.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

Went to market last night for some other goodies. Jalapenos were 1.39/lb. Size-wise, it was 12 jalapenos to the pound.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

fwiw, different markets have VASTLY different Jalapenos and Jalapeno prices. There are several chains in Austin. I can not imagine what japs would cost at a Randall's (I doubt I could buy enough there to make a difference anyway). HEB is probably a little cheaper than you quoted, but not much. Fiesta (the largest Hispanic chain) is probably .40/lb. That said, HEB is almost always mild peppers, Fiesta can be hot even after the seeds and veins are removed.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
firefighter4634
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry The Toad View Post
I love ABTs, but (to me) they are a lot of work. I don't think I could charge enough to cover my time.
I would agree, to me they are time consuming to make, and you need to recover your time plus what you have in them.