oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
jcpetro97
Full Fledged Farker

Default Brisket Size Question

I am going to be cooking a brisket for a friend of mine, who is having a family gathering. She asked if I would cook a brisket, since many in her family had never had properly cooked brisket. SO, that brings me to the question... If there are about 20 people, and this isn't going to be the primary meat served, how big of one should I cook, also keeping in mind, I have a WSM - 22.5" cooker.

thanks everyone!!
jcpetro97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpetro97 View Post
I am going to be cooking a brisket for a friend of mine, who is having a family gathering. She asked if I would cook a brisket, since many in her family had never had properly cooked brisket. SO, that brings me to the question... If there are about 20 people, and this isn't going to be the primary meat served, how big of one should I cook, also keeping in mind, I have a WSM - 22.5" cooker.

thanks everyone!!
Some of the answer will be determined by the quality of the brisket that is available. Sometimes you can find really nice ones that have a nice fat cap but mostly lean and have a little flex to them but then other times they can be 30% fat and stiff as a board which means that you'll be doing a lot of trimming. The point being that the finished product will be smaller than the beginning size and weight of the un-prepped, uncooked size and weight. That being said I would shoot for a half pound of cooked meat per person based on the fact that the brisket won't be the primary meat for the event. That would be the equivalent of a double quarter pounder burger from MickyDs per person. So for 20 people I would shoot for at least a 14 to 15 pound uncooked brisket depending on what you may or may not have to trim off. Overkill it and go big, it's much better to have leftovers than to run out! Besides if these people have never had a properly cooked brisket as your friend stated then your brisket may end up being the meat of choice for the evening!

Old 06-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpetro97 View Post

thanks everyone!!
If you cook it right it will be.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I think a 14 to 16 pound packer would cover your needs. I would look for a flat / point that was more even as you will lose good meat if the flat tapered too small. The smaller / thinner end would be overdone.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds right. You might throw in a couple of fatties as insurance. Cheap, easy, filling.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

When I cook a 12 pound packer that usually feeds 8-9 folks. I would cook two for 20.

We are all average size to below average size folks in the 8-9 group.
Haveuseen1? is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Once they get a taste of brisket sandwich, you might have a full time job in the future, LOL!!
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
Tombstone BBQ on Facebook
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

If you're going full packer, youre not going to find them much smaller than 12 pounds anyways, i would say 15 or so would do it if it isnt the only thing.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote