oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Stark-O-Rama
On the road to being a farker

Default Thermapen vs. New CDN ProAccurate Folding Thermocouple Thermometer

So,

I went cheap, and bought the CDN ProAccurate Folding Thermocouple Thermometer, that's a direct competitor of the Thermapen. I was a bit afraid of the posts I've seen about Thermapens breaking quickly. The CDN has a 5 year warranty.

My CDN lasted 1 competition, and then broke.

SO - is there anyone out there that has used both? Recommendations, thoughts, advice, ideas?

It's very frustrating to lose your Thermometer at a comp in the heat of the battle......
Disposable Cutting Boards on a Perforated Roll, 5 gl Bucket Liners, Steam Pan Liners, Cooler Liners, Stark Naked BBQ Pit, Probe & Grill Cleaner, Stark Kitchen Food Grade Surface Cleaner
www.starkboards.com
Stark-O-Rama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Did CDN honor the warranty? I can tell you that Thermapens generally last more than one competition or cook. They are a professional grade tool, used by many day-to-day chefs.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."

SSS
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark-O-Rama View Post
So,

I went cheap, and bought the CDN ProAccurate Folding Thermocouple Thermometer, that's a direct competitor of the Thermapen. I was a bit afraid of the posts I've seen about Thermapens breaking quickly. The CDN has a 5 year warranty.

SO - is there anyone out there that has used both? Recommendations, thoughts, advice, ideas?

It's very frustrating to lose your Thermometer at a comp in the heat of the battle......
I have only used the thermopen..... I have used it for 5 years with no problems ever.

Look at the bright side.... Your CDN . It's under warranty! LOL

Sad that it died during your comp when you needed it most.....

Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

I have a few Thermopens. My oldest one, about 3/4 years old I think, has died twice but you send it back and I for a flat fee of $15 I think it is - they fix it and return it.
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We've only had one Thermapen die, but that was after YEARS of consistent use.

We do keep a smaller probe thermometer in the toolkit just in the remote case it's needed, but we're fans of backup; it's never been used.

700 Club, Grand Champion Sam's Regional Las Vegas 2015 -- 702.8576
180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- The Great Vegas Gridiron Grill-Off, Las Vegas, NV 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
deguerre

Have had my Thermapen for a year and a half with no problems. Got the silicone boot for it which has come in handy because it's been dropped several times.
"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
landarc

I do use the old instant read dial thermometer a lot still, the one that you see many chef's carry in their pocket. No batteries, no circuits, take a dunking, old reliable. Also can be used very easily with one hand.

Sure, it is not as fast or accurate as a Thermapen, but, it still is handy.

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."

SSS
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Porcine Perfection
is one Smokin' Farker

You are making all that scratch off of disposable cutting boards so live a little and get a Thermapen. The Packer Green one is the fastest and don't let anyone convince you otherwise!

Porcine Perfection BBQ Team - Follow us on [URL="https://twitter.com/PorkPerfection"]Twitter[/URL] and [URL="https://www.facebook.com/PorcinePerfection"]Facebook[/URL]

18.5" WSM (1983 model) | 18.5" WSM (2010 model) | [COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Packer Green Thermapen[/B][/COLOR] | Auber PID Temp Controller | QMaster Senior Temp Controller | Mini WSM | [COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Green Bay Packer UDS[/B][/COLOR]
Porcine Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
Atlasman

My wife washed my Thermapen in a tub of water thinking it was something else

Still works like a champ. Great product!
Atlasman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Stark-O-Rama

I sent it off to CDN last week, not sure if they're going to fix it - I'll let you know. In all fairness, it was my teammate that broke it. So I'm not really sure what happened.
Disposable Cutting Boards on a Perforated Roll, 5 gl Bucket Liners, Steam Pan Liners, Cooler Liners, Stark Naked BBQ Pit, Probe & Grill Cleaner, Stark Kitchen Food Grade Surface Cleaner
www.starkboards.com

Old 06-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #11
Stark-O-Rama

Happy to report - CDN sent me a brand new thermometer. Customer service was great.
www.starkboards.com

Old 07-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark-O-Rama View Post
So,

looks like you answered your question. in most cases, you get what you pay for. got me a red one and love it. use it a few times a week at home now also not just in comps. perfectly cooked pork and chicken. never dry.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote