The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
mr big
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Butt cook question?

I'm cooking a couple of Butts next weekend for a cook out and want to try to cook them hot and fast so i dont put them on in the middle of the night. They are 7.5lbs a piece so if i want to let them rest for 45min or so and we we eat around 1pm. What time should i put them on if i run them around 275 degrees
mr big is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

2:30-3:00am?.....or go a little hotter. 300*?

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, Weber kettle, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my Fire pit, Big Pig Cooker, SJS.

"Nice talkin' to ya"
Garyclaw is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

At 275 you're looking at around 75 minutes per pound, so that would be just over 9 hours. Add in two hours rest time (45 minutes isn't enough) so you would want to get them on at about 2:00am.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
JonM106
Knows what a fatty is.

Maybe put them on at 225 the night before, see how the're doing at 7:00 or 8:00 am and bump up the temp to 275 if necessary? I've done that a couple times with great success.
JonM106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I cook mine at 300 and I will tell you there is no Stall, just a steady march to awesomeness. In my limited experience cook time at 300 deg will average 50 min lb until the bone is loose.

Unread 07-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i agree with jonM.

lower the temp instead of raise it and put them on earlier rather than later.

go to bed and give em a check in the morning. if they're done, wrap and rest. if not wrap and bump up temp.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
PaPaQ
is One Chatty Farker

Just like Ron said, and that will give you some leadway if one of them is stubborn.
Qube'd Box
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

What are you cooking them on? If you don't have to resupply fuel put them on at 12 midnight and like Ron_L said 9 hours later you should be close. If they are not done you still have some time to work with. If they are done wrap in foil and a towel and into the cooler until you are ready to eat. They will hold in the cool for at least 4 hours.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
oldbill
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM106 View Post
Maybe put them on at 225 the night before, see how the're doing at 7:00 or 8:00 am and bump up the temp to 275 if necessary? I've done that a couple times with great success.
Good answer! It might depend however on what kind of pit you're running. If you have a offset, it would mean tending the fire all night as there are no "set it and forget its" with offsets but if you have a charcoal cooker you should be able to do exactly what Jon said pretty easily, as long as you can set it up for a slow controlled burn with the minion or something.

Unread 07-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
mr big
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone that replied. i'll see how it goes this weekend.
mr big is offline   Reply With Quote